Teamwork is the Key to Success

Thomas - El Cajon, California
Themes: community, sports

I believe in teamwork. Teamwork is the most important factor in my success, whether its sports, family or work.

I grew up playing all types of sports and have learned a lot about teamwork. In the last few years I have been a member of the SDSU Ice Hockey team and through teamwork I believe we have been able to help make each other’s lives better. We not only worked as a team through practices, games, travel, and outside activities to win the Pacific Coast Hockey league. We have supported each other in our personal goals and helped each other in difficult times. In teamwork, when one person on the team is having trouble performing their job, the remaining team members pick up the slack. We are always there for each other. This spring, through teamwork, we worked together and succeeded in placing second in the nation for our division.

I also have a family who works as a team. My family has always been there for me and I have always been there for them. When I am sad, they are sad with me. When I try to succeed in hockey or my personal life, they are rooting me on. When I am in need of help, they are there for me, through thick and thin. I do the same for them. We work as a team and through teamwork; my family and I achieve our shared goals of success in our personal lives.

Teamwork has played an important role in my work experience. One recent example is my part-time job as a graphic designer in the Aztec Recreation Center (ARC). The Graphic Design Department that I work in creates a monthly newsletter that takes all of us as a team to deliver. Even though each of us has a specific task and specialty area, we work together to create content, photographs, page layout, editing, and delivery. Once completed, the newsletter is the result of teamwork in action.

I believe in the lifelong lessons I’ve learned about teamwork and I know this concept will provide valuable assistance to me as I move from college into the work force as a full time professional.