United We Stand

Hillari - Perry, Florida

The day began just like any other day. I woke up, got dressed for school, grabbed my books and a pop-tart on the way out of the door, and was on my way. My mom, as always, dropped me off at the front door. I was in the seventh grade and was unaware that in a few short hours, everything would change.

During the middle of my American history class that morning, a girl ran into our classroom. Her name was Allison and she told our teacher to turn on the television. The room grew silent as we listened to the news reporter. A plane had crashed into the World Trade Center in New York City. We watched the burning building closely anxious to know what the outcome would be. Nobody expected what happened next.

A second plane came into view and crashed into the second of the twin towers. A few minutes later, a third plane was flown into the Pentagon and we received the news that a fourth plane was believed to have been hi-jacked. We watched the twin towers collapse to the ground as if it were in slow motion. We saw the terrified look on the faces of those running for shelter from the debris. Then, the President of the United States of America addressed the nation. We all expected to him to appear shocked. Instead, we saw the brave, serious face of our leader. He said that our nation had been attacked and thousands of people had lost their lives. His next words soothed the minds of many in the nation. He said these attacks were an attempt to break the strong spirit of Americans and although we had been shaken up, he knew that those terrorists didn’t get what they wanted that day.

George W. Bush was right when he spoke those words on September 11, 2001. Those horrible people had not broken the strength and the bond that all Americans have in common. Instead, our strength grew stronger, our bonds were tightened, and our flags were raised higher. Their attacks may have killed many of our loved ones, but they didn’t kill our spirit.

America is full of amazing people willing to go to ultimate extremes for the protection of our country, and the citizens of our country. The fourth plane on that day was headed toward the White House. The bravery of the American people aboard flight 93 will live in our hearts forever. Those passengers went to the ultimate extreme to protect our nation that day. They over powered the evil terrorists that hi-jacked that plane, and crashed into a field. Those heroes took their own lives in order to save many more.

That day changed the minds and the hearts of many people. America may not ever be the same, but is and always will be stronger.

I believe in America and I believe in the strength that we, as Americans, will always hold in our hearts.