This I Believe Essay

Michael - Apple Creek, Ohio

I believe that material items cannot make a person happy, at least not for a long period of time anyhow. Many people believe that a new car or a new video game will be their source of happiness. This may be true…for the first few days. By the next few though they will find out that whatever someone has bought isn’t all it was cracked up to be.

Finally! The FedEx truck had just pulled into our driveway carrying my package. My new, Chinese knockoff airsoft guns have just arrived. I paid a whopping twenty-one dollars for these babies. It was great. They worked fine, they shot far and fast. They worked really well and were really fun. Until two days later. I was playing airsoft with my cousins. Everything went great until I pulled back the gun to load it and it blew up in my face…literally. When I pulled the loading mechanism back the plastic broke and all the parts sprung out at me. I was never able to fix it so my prized airsoft gun lay in a heaping pile in the trash. It just goes to show that material items can never buy happiness…and never to buy from third-party, Chinese knockoff, online airsoft stores.

As you can see from my story, the airsoft gun certainly didn’t make me happy for a long time. It’s the same way with anything. When I got the new (well, old now) Xbox I was so excited. Yet, like most of my purchases it too ended up collecting dust next to my new Nintendo Wii (which I’m sure will be collecting dust in a couple of years). Granted, a new BMW may entertain someone for a few years, but in 2020 when gas costs 13.49 dollars a gallon, they are going to be wishing they would have saved their money.

Many people have tried to buy happiness, and all have failed. The only way someone can buy happiness it to spend one’s money on others. The feeling someone gets when, instead of buying a new video game, they spend money on others in like nothing anybody will ever get from spending money on himself or herself. So I’ve concluded, from what others have told me and from my experiences that the only way to truly buy never-ending happiness is to spend money or give items to others. This happiness lasts forever.