Ashley - Apple Creek, Ohio

“I have learned throughout my life as a composer chiefly through my mistakes and pursuits of false assumptions not by my exposure to founts of wisdom and knowledge.” – Igor Stravinsky

I believe that you learn from you mistakes and that life gives you another shot at things. Everyone makes mistakes, and I know that I do. Mistakes can be major or minor, and everyone experiences both. A few years ago I made a pretty big mistake and I will always remember what it taught me.

It was a cloudy day. I could feel the slight drizzle hit my face as I walked out to the muddy horse pasture. The lack of sunshine put me in a bored mood so I decided to fix that by going on a relaxing ride on my horse, Dynamite. I slipped his halter over his head, lead him over to the trailer and saddled him up. He didn’t seem very thrilled about being ridden that day. I could tell by the look in his dark brown eyes. There was a few trails made about a half of a mile down the road and that’s where we were headed. Of course, to get there I had to take the road.

As soon as we entered the woods I could smell the wet leaves and pine trees. I rode for a good half hour and then headed back home. The road had gotten slicker, but at the time I didn’t really even think about it, or what it was about to cause. We reached the top of the hill, opposite my driveway so I turned. Unexpectantly, as we turned, Dynamite slipped and we fell right in the middle of the road. He fell right on my leg. Fortunately for me, I wasn’t injured so I quickly jumped out of the saddle to get out of his way. I figured he would just get right back up and that he was okay, but he wasn’t. He was hurt. After a few tries he finally made it back to all fours, but he was holding his back, left leg up.

By now, tears were streaming down my face. Why did I have to ride today? I should have known better that the road would be slick from the rain. This was my entire fault! All this just because I was bored. I quickly unsaddled him and went and got my parents. They were really mad which made me feel worse.

The following day we had a vet come out and look at him. His leg had gotten worse and was now swollen at the hock. The vet had bad news for us that day. He told us that the swelling would never go down but if we gave him some medicine called Bute, it would take the pain away. I felt so bad that Dynamite had to suffer because of me. Since then I’ve only been able to ride him a few times. I definitely learned an important lesson that day.

All of this showed me how you learn from your lessons. I will never ride my horse on a wet road ever again and I don’t risk things that could put my horse in danger. Life has also thrown similar situations at me where I’ve had to make a choice on what’s right and what’s more likely to be a worse decision that will have a bad consequence. I could definitely say that lesson has prevented many situations most people don’t enjoy being in. Learning from my mistakes has made me more responsible and I think more about something before I do it. Even though I like taking risks, somethings in life are just not worth risking.