Things aren’t always as they appear

Jessica - Apple Creek, Ohio

“Don’t judge a book by its cover” – American Proverb

On a warm spring day, I stepped off the school bus and waved to the driver before making my way up the drive. I was nearly to the porch steps when I noticed something dart away from my foot. Trailing after the fleeing creature with curious eyes, I immediately recognized it as a snake. I leaped up the steps and sped into the house, desperate to escape a creature that might not have even posed a threat.

When returning home from school, I certainly never expect to step on a snake so close to the house. It may not be uncommon to see snakes, but having such a close distance to one without it moving is not exactly normal. On another day, I had yet another condition where things were not as they seemed. While preparing for a fun day of celebration in my German I class I was baking a cake the night before whilst talking to my mom. The next morning at school, I had the funny feeling that I had left something out.

I quickly replayed the ingredients and the night before in my head, quickly coming to the conclusion that I hadn’t put any eggs in. Even with a ruined cake, the bad day was not about to cease. While we were eating one another’s food, my best friend placed her bottle on its side on the table and began to spin it around in absent-minded gesture. With her inattentive ways, she had not even noticed that she had yet to place the cap back on the bottle.

Without eggs, a cake can turn disastrous, but still edible, making it rather different from what one would expect when eating a piece of cake. A normal occurrence can change even, like my friend’s spinning bottle, and become something totally unexpected. I certainly had not thought I would go home covered in water. Once, while playing with a neighbor in the backyard, my friend and I saw a rope near the rock we were playing behind. Out of nowhere, it began to rattle, scaring the living daylights out of us. We quickly ran back to our parents, telling them of the snake. My mom quickly ushered us from the spot upon spotting the “innocent” snake. I had looked at her with a face full of confusion only to be informed that it had not been a gardener snake, it had been a rattler.

A rattlesnake is normally considered to be pretty far from its usual territory when it enters a city, so it was a good shock when I found one in my backyard. An innocent rope, or snake, can be poisonous without someone necessarily knowing. Things can seem different than they truly are in many aspects of life. The differences can be as varied as a personality to the book you might read. Nothing is guaranteed to be as it seems.