Motherly Love

Megan - Charlotte, Iowa

I believe in a strong mother and daughter bond. Since the day I turned thirteen I have talked to my mother about absolutely everything. We would discuss-at that point in life- boys and the problems that thirteen year olds go through in life. I believe she has made me who I am today.

My mother is a strong compassionate person, who would do anything for any of her three children. She is always there when any of us need somebody to talk to and she understands the struggles we must go through in life. Like when my brother decided to come out of the closet, she was there for him the whole time.

When I was a sophomore in high school my classmates were starting to talk about alcohol; Saturday nights changed from watching movies to drinking alcohol. Like any sixteen year old would do, I began to wonder what it was like to be at one of those parties where the drinking occurred. I went to one of those parties, and my mom, having been a teenager before, knew exactly what would be going on at that party. She told me that if I was planning on drinking to let her know and she would drive me there and then come pick me up. This was the time where I really started to communicate with my mom about everything.

I now look at the relationships my friends have with their mothers and see that the strong bond my mother and I share is a very special one. The other girls run around constantly lying to their mothers because they know if they tell them the truth there is no way they will be allowed to carry out their actions. From that day, she was there for me and confided in me, is when I knew our bond was strong and I was able to tell her anything without her freaking out on me. That even if I made a bad decision in life, she would always be there for me.

From that experience in life, to this day, my mom knows everything I have done in life that may or may not have been the right thing. Whenever I do a “new” thing in life or experience a new time, I tell her. And if I don’t, I develop a guilty conscious about it. I would rather tell my mother things that happen, than have somebody else tell her and ruin the trust that our relationship is based on.

I believe that every daughter and mother should have a strong bond with each other, based on trust and wisdom, like the one I have with mine. It makes growing up as a teenager or anytime inn your life, a lot easier when you have someone you know can talk to about anything.