I believe Sports Teaches you Character.

Ace - Goose LAke, Iowa
Themes: sports

I believe that you learn character from playing sports. I believe this because during my athletic career I learned how to fight through adversity, work hard, trust in my teammates, and how to be a leader. Playing in three sports is tough, but if you love sports, like I do, then you will find time to work on three sports. In the summer it starts with Monday, Wednesday, and Friday with weightlifting and Tuesday and Thursday open gym for basketball. I work on baseball right before the season in the spring.

The first thing I learned is how to work hard. I had to learn how to work hard other wise I would not have been starting or even playing. In football, working hard just becomes natural to the whole team. If I wanted to win a starting spot, I had to run hard during conditioning at the beginning of practice and then continue to do all of the drills, like footwork drills while you tired, to reach my full potential. I also learned how to trust in a teammate. I learned this the hard way. We were playing in our first game of the season and we ran a sweep run play to my side. I had to pull and over take to get to the linebackers. I didn’t trust my offensive tackle, so I stayed on the defensive end and the line backer ended up making the play. The coach was yelling at me and was in my face after the play. I had to learn that my offensive tackle would be there to pick up the opposing player.

After I learned hard work and trust from football, I learned how to be a leader in the game of basketball. Against Orion, I didn’t play the whole game, but we were up the whole game and then we were loosing. I told them, “Its ok were still in this game, we just have to calm down and get in our offense and keep playing defense.” This made us play with more intensity. We ended up winning 48-42. This is showing that I learned vocal leadership skills from basketball to keep our team from getting down.

Another thing I never did again is get in trouble, during baseball I got picked up for an OWI and I had to sit out two weeks of baseball. It was the hardest two weeks of my life watching my friends have fun and play the game. I had to fight through adversity because I wanted to get my starting spot back.

All of these characteristics that I have learned will prepare me for the future. I believe you build a lot of character from sports because you have to go through so much just like in a life time. You have to learn how to work hard, fight through adversity, trust in people, and become a leader. Playing sports make learning characteristics a lot more fun.