A Beautiful Physics

Sunhee - MUNCIE, Indiana

I believe that it is important who we meet at the crucial period since it might decide the direction or way of our life and future. I liked to discover new things and experimented in the science lab when I was a high school student. At that time, I liked a physics teacher who was a very kind and a handsome guy in my girl’s high school. So, most girls started to study physics hard and so did I, because we wanted to awake his interest. Furthermore, I joined the science club so that I could try all kind experiments freely. My class went on a trip to a mountain, one of the most popular mountains in Korea, with all science teachers in order to observe the stars for three days. I can’t forget the memory of the Astronomy teacher explaining each constellation and stories related to them all night. I saw the Milky Way for the first time and several planets with a telescope. Everyone fell into the wonderful atmosphere for three days and nights.

After I graduated from high school, I decided to go to the University to study science, especially physics. However, contrary to my expectations, it was too difficult to study in University Physics because it was so different from the physics class in high school. When I was a sophomore, I came to be bored studying physics and solving the complicated problems. At that time, I met a professor in electromagnetic class at the beginning of the semester. He wrote down one of the physics equations on the black board. Afterward, he said to us, “Isn’t it beautiful?” I’ve never thought that equations could be beautiful. From then on, I discovered that all equations which scientists already found out a very long time ago came from nature. Even though his remark was so simple, it changed my scientific view. From then on, the more I took physics classes, the more I became interested in physics principles.

Now I am a master student of Astronomy and Physics in Ball State University and doing research about nanorobotics because there were some significant people who helped me to choose that path. I just only mentioned two teachers who pointed my direction for 20 years of my life. In the future, I will meet other important people who will help me on my way. I am also preparing myself to be a person just like the two teachers who changed my life and had a positive influence on me.