The True meaning of life

Marcus - Willowbrook, Illinois
Themes: carpe diem

What is the meaning of life? Many have pondered this very question for ages, and many others will the same question for years to come. For me, I believe the meaning of life is to go out and experience everything the world has to offer for as long as possible and being happy while doing it.

My greatest fear in life is one day waking up old and realizing that I had done nothing with the many years I lived. I fear the feeling of realizing that there were so many roads I could have taken and didn’t and so many better things out there that I could’ve or should’ve done seen or experienced but I didn’t do, see, or experience them. That is why if I had the opportunity to talk to my older self and give him a piece of advice I would say, “Seize the day and live out your dreams as soon as possible before it’s too late and don’t throw them away.”

That is why I don’t want to waste a minute of my life. Whenever I am asked what I want to study in college or what career I want to look into when I’m an adult I usually just say, “Um… I don’t know…I might want to get into accounting or something.” In reality I don’t know what kind of work I want to devote my life to. I fear that if I choose a career path that leads to a dead end of imprisonment and unhappiness in a cubical somewhere, I will have wasted a great portion of my life and youth aspiring to get there and then wanting to get out.

That is why I will not devote my life to a job or an occupation that is just for money and isn’t for me. I will put myself, my interests and my goals above all else. Doing anything less for me is just wrong. If I dreamed about traveling around world and I obtained the opportunity to do so, and I had to choose between that and going to school I would take that opportunity to travel. You may say, “That’s insane! Everyone needs an education.” I agree, education is a very good and necessary tool, but if I was going to end up traveling the world anyways and I wasn’t doing so well in school why not just follow my dreams instead of wasting my time at school.

I believe in living life for the present. I will always try to make smart decisions, but always worrying about tomorrow’s consequences takes away from today’s fun and enjoyment. I have never seen worry solve a problem. Worry just creates new problems. Whenever I have a problem and I get stressed out or worried I just say “Que será, será,” and all the worry just melts away. Since tomorrow is not promised today I just enjoy now a leave the worrying to someone else.

In fifty years, when I am an old man, I don’t want to look back through my life and wonder what I could have or would have done differently if I had the chance. My time on Earth is too short to waste. Meaningless tasks, obligations, and wasted effort take too much of that precious time. Youth is always fleeting. That is why I want to travel the world, go surfing, feed starving kids, go sky diving, go camping in the Amazon rainforest, change someone’s life, meet great people, find love, get married, and have kids and waste no time in doing so. If I do all this before I die and do it happily I will know that I have fulfilled my purpose in life and I can die happy. All of this still leaves a question in my mind. What happens if I die before I get a chance to accomplish my goals? To me dying before one’s dreams and aspirations are realized makes the death tragic. While any death is tragic, the death of someone with unrealized dreams is even more tragic because that sort of death is premature no matter how old the person is.