Time Heals All Wounds, As Do Band-Aids

Glen - Darien, Illinois
Themes: love

As a child, I spent much of my time outside playing with my brother and my neighbors. We would climb trees, play tag, build forts, or play in our tree house. The things we did each day varied greatly, and scarcely did we find ourselves doing the same thing twice, yet amid all of the variability, there was one thing that remained consistent on pretty much a day to day basis; someone would get hurt.

Through out the many years of rough-hosing and shenanigans that was my child hood there were many bruises and scrapes that occurred. While many kids would cry and scream at the sight of their own blood, that was not the case for me. I knew despite the pain and exaggerated trauma of the cut, that it would all be better because we had something that could heal any wound: Band-Aids.

Band-Aids for me were a reassurance that all would be well, and that I would be alright. I always knew that whatever trouble I got myself into, there would always be that little tan strip that could cover up any scrape or cut that I could acquire through my playing. The Band-Aid was my security blanket, my plan B, my last resort that would protect me from any harm that could come my way. I had little to worry about when I would fall on the side-walk or get a sliver climbing a tree, because I always knew that inside my house we had Band-Aids, and that they could right any wrong.

I know now that I’m older that Band-Aids don’t contain any mysterious healing power or protection, but it is the idea of the Band-Aid that I believe in. I work at a day camp during the summer with kids who are 4 to 5 years old, and I am always humored to see them come up to me and ask me for a Band-Aids, even though most of the time they have no visible scratch or abrasion. The band-aid is not to heal the wound, but their mind. They need to be reassured as to that they will be all right and that there is someone there watching out for them. Children just need warm reassurance, like their mom kissing their wound or tucking them in at night.

I believe in the Band-Aid and what it stands for. I believe in having something that is consistent and always there when you really need it. I believe in having that consistent and unchanging thing in your life that will give you strength when you are weak and give you comfort when you are afraid. A Band-Aid can come in many forms, whether it is your religion, or a family member, or some ideology that you take to heart. I believe in Band-Aids, and that everyone should have one.