I Believe in Naps for Adults

Rigo - Waldorf, Maryland
Themes: pleasure

I believe there should be a designated place for naps on college campuses and job offices. Many college students take naps during the day and many working adults wish they could do the same. One of the problems college students that go to a school with a big campus may run into is that the walk from class to their dorm may take valuable time from their power nap. Working adults may find that they don’t have the time or place to take a nap when they get breaks.

Consider this, how many times have you been dead tired during your day? Because you were up late the night before and have a long day ahead, and all you want to do is take a nap in between classes or on your lunch break. So you try to pick a good spot, but just can’t get a good nap because it was either too loud, uncomfortable, or you were told to leave because you can’t sleep there. You go through the rest of you day regretting being tired and think, “If only I got my nap in I could have functioned better today.” I believe that there should be a designated nap area in offices and on the main area of campuses.

I have tried a few places, but they just didn’t work out. There is a room in my school’s Student Center that is dimly lit with a big screen T.V. that is usually is tuned to ESPN. I have seen many students try to nap here, but the problem is that it is too noisy because is an open room with no door. Because of this, one is may get irritated by the volume of people’s conversations that come from the loud mouths of students walking by as their conversations echo off the walls. To add to the problem, it’s difficult to get comfortable in the wooden frames with cheap cushions they call couches that only seat two. There have been a number of times where I had tried to nap there for about an hour or two, but couldn’t even get comfortable enough to fall asleep.

On another occasion, my roommate freshman year told me about this one place that he described as a napper’s paradise. When I saw this room for the first time, I thought I must’ve already been a sleep and dreamt I was in heaven. The carpet was so soft that I wanted to take my shoes off so I could feel it massage my feet as I walked to my claim my area. There were about 12 plush couches, all of which were long enough to sit three people and were so comfortable that one could fall asleep on them without even trying. In all my times coming there I have never seen more than eight people, which reinforced what my roommate told me, “If I tell you about this place you have to keep it a secret. If too many people find out, it won’t be so peaceful.” So I did my part and never told a sole. This place was too good to be true. Literally. One day I was dead tired and looking forward to crashing for about an hour and a half when a lady was stationed at the usually unoccupied front desk in the middle of the room told me that I could not stay there because there was a business meeting going on. The next semester, the room was only accessible when a meeting was being held. I guess the university didn’t want people relaxing there and just like that, my napper’s paradise was taken away from me.

There was always the occasional lounge area of random floors and buildings that sampled from time to time. I was never able to quite get over the guilty feeling of sleeping in some department that I wasn’t exactly sure of. To add to this problem I am even told that I have to leave because I “can’t sleep here” half the time.

After eventually giving up on trying to find a good nap spot on my school’s campus, I came up with the idea that there should be a room designated for naps. If I feel this way about my campus, I’m sure people feel the same way at other large universities.

Not only are naps refreshing but they generally improve the rest of your day. Research shows that naps during the day are very beneficial to one’s mood, productivity and health. According to a recent article from the website msnbc.msn.com titled “Good News for Slackers: Naps Can Help the Heart,” “NASA sleep researchers have found that a nap of 26 minutes can boost performance by as much as 34 percent.” It also said, “A 2006 study from the Stanford University School of Medicine found that napping resulted in improved mood, increased alertness and reduced lapses in performance among doctors and nurses.”

When I wake up from a nap that is less than an hour and 15 minutes, I feel energized, refreshed and usually in a better mood. I also do better in the tasks I that I have to do in the rest of my day. In many countries around the world it is unusual not to take a nap. According to wikipedia.org, in countries such as Philippines, China, Vietnam, Italy, North Africa, and Mexico, it is customary to take siestas (a nap and/or break in the middle of the day usually lasting three to five hours). I think something should be done in American culture for this to become the norm. But this would probably never be practical because as a culture, we move too fast and are too focused on being productive that this would never be accepted for everyone to do.

I believe in the power of naps. I believe that naps should become so common for busy adults to take during the day in American culture, that there should be rooms for this specific purpose. I believe after reading or hearing this, we should all take a nap. Then when reflecting on your day, think about how much better you felt after waking up.