Not Real Best Friends

Krunali - Burr Ridge, Illinois
Themes: question

I had been friends with my best friend since 4th grade. We had been to every single birthday party of each others, except this year. Last year, she choose to go to her school’s homecoming with a boy she barely knew instead of coming to my sweet sixteen birthday party; we haven’t talked in a couple months.

After junior high, we both choose to go to different high schools. We had agreed that that decision wouldn’t change our friendship and our relationship with each other. We would hang out on the occasion but usually, I was the one that had to make the effort. The phone line goes both ways, so I told her that I thought it wasn’t fair and she even told me she agreed. Then I gave her my birthday invitation, and a couple days later told me she couldn’t go. Later on, I had realized I was replaced with a boy.

As I grow older, I have begun to realize who my real friends are and who never really was my friend. Trust is a huge factor of life. When I was younger, all my friends knew all my secrets. Now that I am older, I have learned that telling secrets to anyone other than your best friend is a horrible idea. In high school, we learn that people talk. Gossip is waiting for everyone around the corner. Drama is the entertainment everyone seeks. It makes life interesting, but it can also do more harm than good.

Everyday we hear a different story about how ‘some lady put her coffee in her lap and is now suing McDonalds.’ Most people have no problem questioning and suing a company, but when it comes to religion, there is not much questioning going on. I don’t understand how they have so much faith in their religion, but not anything else. Religion has been contradicted more than once, to say the least.

The way I see it, I think that everyone just needs something to believe in, because even when no one else is there for them, they know that God is still watching over them. Personally, I am an atheist and I believe in science over religion. I know that I have at least two friendships that will last a lifetime. Just knowing this is better (for me) than trying to believe in God. I know that my two friends will be there until the end of time, and choose me and my birthday party over someone they barely know.

As author Frank Crane said, “You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough.” This, I believe.