Finding Myself in Friendship

Sam - willowbrook, Illinois

In high school, I discovered who my friends were as well as myself. I’ve known three of my closest friends since elementary school. Back in those days, grades and girls were never an issue. I never realized how much these boys would mean to me until after I got to high school.

My sophomore year I fell into a slump. For some reason, I felt like I couldn’t keep up with the world around me. My work kept piling up and up and my grades kept slumping down and down. I would go to bed at night feeling guilty and irresponsible for not having done my homework. I didn’t know what to do or who to turn to. I failed math that year and I should have failed some other classes too. I felt like, as a person, I was just slipping away entirely. An average friend would tell me I was alright and that I would get back into it. Brad, Robby, and Mikey told me I needed to stop feeling sorry for myself and just do my work. They reminded me that I am capable of it and there is no reason for me to think otherwise.

More recently, I had discovered a fine female specimen who I chased after and fell head over heels for. I had deemed her flawless, perfect in every way. As opposed to my sophomore year, she gave me a feeling of security and excitement to wake up for school. Little did I know, a trip the Disney World, the most magical place on earth, would transform her into realizing I was a just another guy and that she needed to move onto someone else. Needless to say, I was crushed and again in need of friendship. Just when I was feeling worthless and drawing myself into question, my favorite boys came to the rescue. She made me question who I was, my morals, and everything I stood for, but this would soon end as they would reassure me who I really was.

I am Sam C. It is said that friends makes who you are. I don’t believe that who you spend your time with makes you who you are, but I’d say a best friend is more like a dictionary. When I am looking to find who I am, I look to my best friends to help me find myself. Nobody should make me question myself. I am who I am, and I love who I am. I live to put a smile on everyone’s face, and I need these comrades of mine to keep me focused as to who I am.