To Enforce upon Yourself

Tianxiang - Muncie, Indiana

I believe that we will always encounter this kind of situation which we have to do something we really do not want to do or we are not interested to do, but we have no other choices. And I believe that the best way to handle this is to enforce upon yourself to do it. No fear, no shirking, no excuse, be brave, and just do it.

So far as I can remember, I have done and I expect to have done a lot of things I do not like or I cannot enjoy doing. Because no matter either when I was just a little naive kid or when I grew up to be a unsophisticated middle school student or even now I become a adult university student, I always confronted or expect to confront a lot of things which I do not want to do, or worse, I hate to do. And when this happens, the only method I use is to enforce upon myself to do it and do it as best as I can if I have no other choices.

At the first second when I walked into my highschool, I did not like mathematics. I knew maths was a very important fundamental subject and very useful for our life, but I really did not like it. I did not know why, maybe because it was difficult or maybe it was a kind of instinct of me when I was born. Unfortunately, every student had to pass mathematics exam to get their diplomas and without highschool diploma, you cannot go into a university. It seemed like I had no other choices but worked hard on maths. Even though I did not like it, I felt dizzy while I was reading my maths textbook, I enforced upon myself to listen to my maths teacher, to do a lot of practice, to think about the questions which was given by our textbook. After doing this for three years, I succeeded in passing my maths test with a high score and receiving my highschool diploma.

I have countless examples of myself which I enforce upon myself to do the things I do not like and I did it well at last. I do not like English, but now I am in America and speak English to others everyday; I am a fool in music, but I used to play violin very well at one time; I am lazy, but I get up at 7am everyday. Why? There is not why, but persistence and perseverance.

We can not always just do the things we like or we are interested in. We have a lot of things to do in our whole lives but only a few of them are the things we like. What shall we do about these things we do not like? We must enforce upon ourselves to do it, with persistence and perseverance. This is the secret of success; This is the secret of life.