Sing Me Anything

Ann - Willowbrook, Illinois

I believe in the indescribable power and timelessness of music. I believe in the song lyrics that can break yet mend my heart at the same time and the tunes that remind me of how times were before I was thrust into reality and into the defining years of my life. All of the songs that I have hummed to, danced to, and cried to will always be there for me, serving as a consistent factor in my life when all that is taking place right now is change.

Junior year in high school, the turning point and transitional period of my life, has always intimidated and terrified me to some extent because I still recall the hectic life my sister had to lead when she was a high school student. It is now finally my turn to undergo the stress, the significant decisions, and for me to finally stop living in denial and in the past. At this time in my life, I am constantly being confronted with life changing decisions and interrogations about my future and the type of individual I wish to become. I am living in the future right now, constantly considering what actions I should take in order to transform myself into the successful, independent, and mature individual I hope to one day become. However, in doing so, I feel out of touch with my present being and the beliefs I stand for at this very moment. I am slowly piecing together fragments of my future and I have an idea of the model individual I wish to become in the future, but in doing so, I fear that I am losing a sense of who I am at this very moment. Living a life based upon internal contradictions mirrored by my indecisiveness, I desperately need a compromise between my present self and my future self. More than anything, I need stability and evidence that I am not fading away with each second that passes.

I consider my relationship with music to be a companionship at times because no matter how much I change and how much the world I live in changes, I can always depend on music to instill optimism and hope back into my soul. Music reminds me of the beauty of the simpler things in life and it reminds me to be appreciative and introspective towards all of this beauty. Throughout the year, feelings of trepidation and anxiety would surge throughout me whenever I considered springtime because of the nervous tension I would have to face due to important examinations. However, songs such as “Here Comes the Sun” by The Beatles, immediately console me and remind me of the sun’s radiance, the mild weather, and the fresh flowers that underscore the splendor of springtime. With the uplifting chorus that tells me “It’s alright,” I also know that my journey through junior year does not necessarily have to be a lonesome struggle.

I do not believe in photo albums and the unnatural act of taking pictures in order to capture a momentous event or a fleeting beauty. Music is truly adequate to set aside a magnificent moment and for me to remember it to its ultimate extent. In music, there exists a timeless feature that photographs do not possess, and with it, I have unknowingly been defining myself as an individual my entire life. With this, I am provided with hope and reassurance, because I now know that as long my favorite songs will not disappear through time, neither will I.