Not Letting Worries Get in the Way

Selina - Darien, Illinois

Getting ready for school in the morning, I hear Billy Joel’s “Vienna” coming from my record player: “Where’s the fire, what’s the hurry about? You better cool it off before you burn it out. You got so much to do and only so many hours in a day.”

It seems hard, doesn’t it? With so many busy people around us, and ourselves with so much to do, how can we not be anxious all of the time? Though a small amount of worrying is good for you, like the kind that makes you remember to feed your pets or lock the door, I believe that worrying too much isn’t. I believe that people shouldn’t worry about things so much that it prevents them from living life freely and happily.

I believe in fighting with my dad over a crossword puzzle even though I have homework I should be working on. I believe in going out to dinner with my parents even though I feel like I should work some more on the magazine I’m trying to publish. I believe in not passing up the opportunity to watch a movie with my friends just because I’m worried about a project due on Monday. It’s during these times that people really get to experience the simple happiness of life. They let you forget for a little while about the countless worries we have.

We only get to live our lives once, and I don’t want to miss all the nice things in mine. I’m going to do the things that, with too much worrying, I think I’ll lose too much time in doing, because, like Billy Joel said, “It’s alright, you can afford to lose a day or two.” If I decide to bake with my mom tonight, there’ll always be tomorrow to finish sewing that outfit for the renaissance fair, because spending time with her is something that makes me happy.

And though it’s okay to lose some time in not worrying and doing the things that make us happy, I believe in not wasting time by worrying without reason. Worrying about things that aren’t going to change can take the pleasure out of life. Worrying about the test score I’ll get to see the next day won’t change it, and at the same time gets in the way of seeing the pleasurable things in my day. I believe in not letting worries like this get in the way of enjoying the time that I have.

Sometimes it’s difficult for me to ignore my worries, but I try to not let them get too much in the way, since I believe in not letting my worries keep me from enjoying life the way I should.