My Escape from this World

Lauren - Darien, Illinois

Each year, ever since I can remember, my family has been vacationing to Disney World. That’s right Orlando, Florida, home of Mickey Mouse. Every summer, we join the huge crowds that venture into the “Happiest Place on Earth” to relax, spend family time together and enjoy ourselves. Disney World brings our family together, and gives us a chance to be who we are. We do not need to deal with the everyday pressures of work, school, and being someone we are not; it is our escape.

At Disney, I can be myself, or for that matter, whoever I want to be. There is no one to impress or to fit in with. I am an individual who does not like to blend and succumb to what everyone else is doing, and this is one place where I do not have to. I throw my hair up, throw on some mascara and head to the parks with my family to wait in lines, sweat, ride water rides, and eat huge turkey legs at 1am as we leave the Magic Kingdom. There is no need to spend time picking out what to wear, putting on eye shadow, liner, or straightening my hair, especially when no one is really paying attention to who you are.

I go to school everyday with the popular kids, the nerds, weirdos, and whichever other stereotypes there are; someone judges you everyday. It sometimes truly feels like home is a “small world after all.” Florida is just different, I do not get the feeling that I need to impress the crowd around me with my cool clothes or nice things. I have nice things, I will not deny that, and I think my clothes are pretty neat, but I have the things I want, not because the other “cool” kids do. I also have tons of Disney things as well; right now, our home is decorated for Christmas Disney style. Yup that is right, we just are a Disney family and I am not at all embarrassed.

Being 16 years old, I have friends who, when they hear I am going on vacation to Disney say “Oh Disney…that’s uhmm fun I guess” in their sarcastic tone. They have no idea what it’s like to be able to get away from here for awhile and away from all the pressure and just be myself without worrying about other’s opinions; I do not know anyone down there and they do not know me. I basically look at Orlando as my second home, the same resort every time, my family together, warm weather, and the place where it’s all about being happy, an individual, and letting your inner child run free. It is similar to being in another world, but a great world; Walt Disney did say, “I don’t want the public to see the world they live in while they’re in the Park. I want them to feel they’re in another world,” and it is true. A world that lets you escape from everyday life and be who you truly are. I do not just believe in Disney being a great escape, but I believe in being the individual you were born to be, and not succumbing to the pressure and conformity of our society today.