Living Life with the Glass Half Full

Angelene - Burr Ridge, Illinois
Themes: gratitude

When I was little, my mother would always tell me to pull the good out of a bad situation. Of course back then I always thought it was just something to say for the sake of saying. I would just get tired of hearing it and roll my eyes at the very sound of it. I mean come on, sometimes bad things happen and you’d rather just sit and pout. And let’s face it: sometimes we get ourselves into bad situations where the bright side seemed simply nonexistent. Now that I’m getting older I’m starting to see that taking the good out of a bad situation really isn’t as pointless as I once thought.

I used to get really annoyed trying to talk to my mom about struggles I had or simply just telling her why I was having a bad day because she would always respond with “Well tell me something good that happened.” All I could respond with was a big groan. At one point she even expected to hear three things that went right every day. So as I would climb into the car after school she would ask “So what are your three things for today?” which got very aggravating. I even found myself making up good things that happened just to avoid answering. The funny thing is, as I look back on all that now I realize that I did feel better even if I could just name one thing that went right.

For some reason, I would always try and make a situation out to be worse than it really was. Maybe it was because I just liked getting pity from people and I just wanted them to feel sorry for me; and I think everyone, whether they realize or not, tries to extract pity from others sometimes. I even found myself in arguments with my friends over who had it worse. Now all I do is look back on that silliness and laugh wondering why I would ever want my life to be more miserable than it really was. I find it funny how now I’m the one telling people to tell me something positive after they rant about their problems. I’m the one who’s always optimistic about life now.

Recently I was diagnosed with ITP, which is a blood disorder, and even though at times it gets bad and it may prevent me from doing certain things, I am able to look at what I can do rather than what I can’t. Because I have developed this ability I can keep fighting through with a smile. It’s easier now to make light of something or just be satisfied with what I do have. I no longer find myself trying to make a situation worse than it has to be.

I have also found now that it doesn’t make much sense to have a negative outlook on life. What’s the point of only seeing in black and white when there are all those colors in between? Finding that patch of blue in a seemingly all gray sky, I have found, makes life all the more enjoyable and less stressful. As I have grown to have a more optimistic outlook I have found my life to be so much more relaxed whether it be making light of my work or simply shaking off the little detours I may encounter. I can focus more on what I do have and what I can do rather than what I don’t have or can’t do. Now I can proudly say that I do see the glass half full and it is this that I believe.