Love Illuminated

Alyson - Burr Ridge, Illinois
Themes: love

I’m 17. Besides all of the stress that I already deal with on a daily basis-grades, college applications, SAT’s and ACT’s, and increasing responsibilities-I also have the joy of dealing with a tiny little emotion called love. That feeling in the pit of your stomach that makes you feel like you have just eaten a breakfast of butterflies and they might just lift your feet off the ground, yah, that little feeling. My parents have told me over and over again to make sure that I find someone who shares my faith, my morals, my values. The only problem: I go to a public school, and the boys that I’m around all the time, the boys that I inevitably fall in love with, don’t necessarily share my faith.

This raises some issues, doesn’t it? Issues like, if you get married what church will it be in? Or, what faith will your children be raised with? And the ever terrifying one, will your marriage last? But I want to ask why all of this matters.

Of course I am a religious person, having grown up in church and having studied the Bible. I’ve heard the statistics that a good number of multi-religious marriages end in divorce and I have witnessed good friends separate over the issue, but if you truly love someone, you won’t try to “fix” them or their beliefs. Instead you should work hard to understand their views and respect them even if you don’t agree. As quoted by Shakespeare: “Now join your hands, and with your hands your hearts.”

Now I am not saying that you should give up your religion or values for the person that you love, I am merely suggesting that religion shouldn’t dictate who you do and do not fall in love with.

I am, in fact, going through these emotions right now. I was raised as a Seventh Day Adventist, and although I am at present struggling with my own faith, I will always hold true to the morals that I have been raised with as an Adventist. I fall for boys who are not of my religious affiliation and I can tell that my parents aren’t thrilled by it. And yet I feel that maybe, just maybe, through all of the emotions and roller coaster journeys, there’s a guy out there that is meant for me, no matter what his faith happens to be.

This I believe.