The Dependability of the Sun

Michelle - Burr Ridge, Illinois

The Dependability of the Sun

Michelle Bolos

As you painstakingly slave away through the night, finishing that project you procrastinated doing for 3 weeks, you wonder to yourself, “When is it going to end?” It seems as though you will be stuck in agony forever. But, after working into the wee hours of the morning, the sun peeks through your window, and you finally realize the time has come, at this point, it is what it is and you’ve done what you can do. This is why I believe in the dependability of the sun.

In order to lead a happy life, you must be optimistic. Bad days happen to the best of us, and even an angel can end up falling at sometime in their life. Whether you just got into a fight or you received a bad grade, just know that no matter what, the sun is going to rise tomorrow and you will get another chance. This I believe. It quells me to know that no matter the err I’ve made, life will go on, the sun will rise, and another day will come and it will most likely be better than the last. America is so fast paced and competitive, people tend to get caught up in being the best and try not to make mistakes, not that being a perfectionist is bad, it’s just that sometimes you need to take a step back and realize it’s okay to make mistakes, it’s the best way to learn a new lesson, and no matter what, that mistake isn’t going to end your life and the world will not stop spinning.

Although I am only a sixteen-year-old high school student, there are still many pressures I endeavor, and I know, many of you reading this think, “Oh, she has no idea what pressure is.” Young or old, stress is stress, whether your stress may be nothing compared to the person’s next to you, it is a big deal in your life and makes you feel awful. It doesn’t matter what pressure you may be experiencing, the philosophy is still the same. At this time in my life the biggest pressure is having parents with extremely high expectations and receiving only average grades. I understand doing well in school is very important, however while my parents fly off the handle and begin scolding me as soon as they see a C on a test, the thought that tomorrow the sun will rise and this whole ordeal will have been mitigated gets me through the yelling and gives me some sense of calmness and sanity. This I believe.

You will always have to suffer the consequences for what you’ve done, a hard lesson learned all too many times for most of us, however, most of our problems die down in one day. Getting mad solves nothing in life, however, the fact that you can depend on something to rise everyday, such as the sun, gives us hope that things will get better, and that’s all any of us really need to get through our days, hope. The next time something makes you feel like crawling in a hole, just remember, the sun will be there to bring about another day in which you can start anew. This I believe.