I Believe in Spending Time with Family

Kristina - Merrill, Wisconsin

It’s three in the morning and my family is sitting around the kitchen table. I’ve just spent the whole day with my family and yet we are still sitting around in my kitchen talking and laughing and remembering when. We talk about everything, from other family members and friends to politics. I love these days, because it doesn’t matter if everyone agrees or disagrees just as long as we are together.

“Families are like fudge – mostly sweet with a few nuts.” ~Author Unknown. And “the nuts” are of course a classic discussion, what cousin got into trouble lately and what they did. Even this, which would seem like simple gossip to most, is great. My family and I talk about how “the nuts” can teach my younger cousins and me what to do or not to do in our lives. All the time spent with my family has also taught me who I want in my life. I have learned many things from my older girl cousins most of the things learned are about guys. My older cousins teach me what not to do most of the time but sometimes they can surprise me and others to teach me something good about how to live life. They often date the totally wrong guys and get hurt because of it. I have learned that if a guy is still in high school and is a father, the chances are high that you might get pregnant from him too. Two of my cousins have dated a guy that has a child from a previous relationship and have gotten pregnant from him. I learn so much from them that I would never have learned if I didn’t spend time with my family.

“Call it a clan, call it a network, call it a tribe, call it a family. Whatever you call it, whoever you are, you need one.” ~Jane Howard. I believe that spending time with family is very important just as the quote states. I have learned what to believe and how to live my life through my family. I would never have learned as much as I have about life if I had not spent time with my family. Spending time with my family means more than just with my parents and brother it means spending time with my grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins, great uncles, greats aunts, and anybody else that I’m related to. It might seem like a waste of time to others, to spend time with family members, but I have found that they can teach me many things like who to date. I love them all for what they have taught me and will continue to spend time with them.