This I Believe: Political Correctness Equals Cultural Communism

Ashley - Darien, Illinois

I would assume that since the first founders of the United States thought that their revolutionary country was great, they also thought their fellow citizens were mature. Yet, I have to wonder if they truly believed that because they inserted the silly idea of “Political correctness” into our Constitution. The democratic ideals that are found in the behaviors of political correctness are silly because they share the same sentiment that utopian ideals have. Specifically, this foolishness can be seen in stereotypes, principles of helping each other in society, and the straight-laced nature of America’s religion, Christianity.

People subconsciously believe in stereotypes even though society teaches us that this act is wrong. This is reflected in how ungenuinely nice people can be when they face a person who comes with a label that the politically correct person is uncomfortable with. A scenario that reflects this could be when a Christian is friendly to a Wiccan. Of course, even though the hardcore Christian is not saying “God Bless You,” his or her underlying tone will say the blessing clearly. Because a polite nature would deny that there is something different – that nature will ignore the flaw. If one ignores something more, they will accept that same thing less. If we as a society never learn to accept, we’ll certainly never learn to love.

Additionally, the political correctness of helping others sets the unstable up for being codependent on a mirage of a Mother Teresa version of themselves. Helping is good, but it is so much better when it is just a supplement to the whole person. Praise has to come from somewhere, and the best praise derives from an admirable person. While the reason one may volunteer is to get praise, for example, the admirable Harvard that rewards such grace by accepting students to attend their schools, praise should come from someone the seeker knows. The praiser needs to be able to conquer the hell the volunteer has felt. The praiser needs to understand how hard everything has been. The praiser needs to praise even when something that may seem only a bit difficult was, in reality, an uphill battle. The praiser needs to be the volunteer. I had to realize this the hard way: I once dedicated myself to helping a popular boy feel good about him. Of course, he didn’t need me when he found another girl to lift his spirits. The most selfish reason for falling in love is because you can help them. After a month of heartbreaking insanity, I changed from selfishly helping myself and loving him to being selfless, loving myself, and being a good role-model.

Because America was founded by Religious outcasts, it can be argued that not only some of the ideals of this country derive from principles of Christianity, but it can also be argued that America is smothered by those principles. My cousin is a fundamental Christian who believes homosexuality is just as immoral as the sexual acts that people are thrown in prison for. She argues that if one accepts homosexuality, that believer is immoral. This is especially lovely when one considers that my other cousin is gay. Even worse, her sister who is also her best friend had a child out of wedlock. Even if I think about this subject from a biblical aspect, I wonder – that if the rule book states that all sin is equally evil – why my pure cousin isn’t judging her typical sister. I also wonder if she thinks my father is going to hell because he is Agnostic. I cannot believe that any of my family is going to hell because I must preserve my sanity. Plus, since my father is such a level-headed person, I think that is good enough for heaven. I do not even think that the judgmental will burn in hell. I think no one deserves that. Even the communities that are not Christian are affected by the word “hell.” The idea of hate is manifested in the bible though referencing to hell. Instead of hate destroying us, we must let love build us up.

Because democratic ideals share the same sentiment as utopian ideals, they are silly. The fear of not being the perfect nation is expressed through stereotypes, volunteerism, and Christianity. Thus, our liberal nation becomes conservative. The only way to fix this oxymoron is to simply not care about differences, set them aside, work on accepting each other, and see that even America cannot be perfect. After all, this craziness is what makes America great.