Work

Taylor - Willowbrook, Illinois

Work. In physics it is defined as the amount of power exerted over a period of time. A parent would define it as the constant but necessary weight on their shoulders. I think of work as a series of stressful events compiling on top of one another that one pushes through until granted to them is a final resting period. I believe that there is always a solution to every problem no matter how impossible it seems it will be to get through. When I was ten years old I lost my cousin, Eddie. He was twenty one when he passed away. Being the only boy in our family, I looked up to him greatly and bonded with him the most. Although I did not understand when I was younger, I now recognize the reality. Even seven years later I get upset, but I know that I will regain my strength and pick myself up; ready for a new day. The pat on the back known as relief is what gets me through to the next round. I like to think there is calm not before, but after the storm. My mother constantly used to sing “You Are My Sunshine” to me when I was younger. I immediately thought of this song when I started to write because just as the song conveys, there is always something you turn to in order to lighten your mood after a bad day. I often overlook the gift granted after disappointment is built up and confidence is destroyed: peace. However I can safely say that in nearly every case a light is shed upon my hardship that calms me until the next burst, the next cycle of work. I have faith in that light because I fear that if I do not, I might surrender to failure. Gian Carlo Menotti once said, “Waiting and hoping are the whole of life, and as soon as a dream is realized it is destroyed.” I do not want to wait for the moment that it is too late to fight back, the moment between action and reaction. After you have quit on yourself, no one, no matter how hard they try, can save you. The next time I feel each frustrating drop of disappointment leap from my eyes and onto the floor I will be reminded of the work I have completed and I will know that all there is left to do is to look ahead for the beacon calling me back in to mental and spiritual safety. To quote Tom Petty, “the waiting is the hardest part,” but the payment in return is sweet and I am, therefore, willing to conquer work and stress day in and day out for the rest of my life.