Earth, R.I.P.

Amanda - San Jose, California

I believe that Mother Nature is at war with the human race, and she eventually will win.

Probably one of the most popular topics right now to talk about is the environment. After the natural disasters that have occurred recently many people have started to raise awareness towards global warming. I know that I have noticed the planet doing some strange things lately myself. Besides the two major disasters that happened within a year of each other, I have also noticed a strange pattern that has been going on the past few winters. It seems like every year winter starts later and ends earlier. Also, our winters keep getting more and more mild. Though I love the warm weather, this is really bad because the glaciers are slowly melting away. A few summers ago I went to visit Lake Louise with my family, and my mom was surprised by how much smaller the glacier was. We later saw that they had put markers up to show how much farther the glacier stuck out compared to where it is now. It makes me so sad that it might be gone by the time I get a chance to see it again.

Another problem that we are facing is the animals that are affected by global warming. One example is the polar bears. They are slowly dying because of the glaciers that are melting. Since the distance that they have to swim in order to get food is getting bigger and bigger, they dying from hunger and exhaustion before they can reach the land. I hate the thought that my kids might never get to see a polar bear. I have also seen the way animals are being affected first hand. There is this golf course on the hills by my house, and before when I used to look out at the hills I would see trees and natural grass. It was beautiful. But now when I look out I see bright green artificial grass and little white golf carts moving around up there. We can’t even have outside cats anymore because coyotes, mountain lions, and other wild animals that used to live in the hills have been forced down into the neighborhoods. There is even a family of raccoons who live in my backyard. There are an increasing number of animals being hit by cars because they are coming down so far.

Though people have been making a better effort to take care of the planet, I believe that if something drastic isn’t done soon, we will be in some serious trouble. Right now children are the future, and we need to teach them how important it is to take care of the planet because ultimately they will have to deal with the consequences of many years of abuse.