The Power of Music

Lee - Covington, Kentucky

The Power of Music

I believe in the power of music. Music has the ability to change the mood during any type of circumstance. It can change the atmosphere of any situation. For me, music has always been an escape from reality. It is a place where nobody will harm you, and everybody there is your friend. The power that music has is something truly unimaginable and something that no other force in the world can behold.

For me, the power of music all started when I was in fourth grade. Although I’m ashamed to say it, I was an avid fan of N’ Sync as well as the Backstreet Boys, and Britney Spears. When I was this young though, I didn’t have many gateways to access different kinds of music. I couldn’t really expand my mind much with having pretty much nothing besides the radio to go on, considering this was before downloading music was a big thing.

The first band that I came upon that really meant something to me was probably Blink 182. While this may seem like the typical pre-teen angst band to listen to, it was what I was into and unlike the bands I listened to before them, I’m not ashamed to say that they were my gateway drug per-say, into newer forms of music. I owe all of the thanks to my friend who was the one that really turned me onto music. From that age on, music became my passion. I was obsessed with all type of rock music and the backgrounds behind it.

In middle school, probably the biggest life changing event occurring to me at the time was my parents divorce. Even though I was too young to really understand what was going on and why, when I look back at it today I can see that it was something that affected me whether I realized it at the time or not. Instead of listening to my parents argue over the phone or listen to my mother crying over things that I didn’t understand, I would go in my room and be by myself and drown myself in the sounds of my favorite bands. Music, unlike divorce, was something that I could understand at the time. I kind of regret being so reclusive at a time when my family needed me the most, but I was young. Listening to music was one of my only escapes from the problems that were going on in my life.

Once I entered high school, the digital age of music was starting to come around, which in turn made it a lot easier to access all kinds of music. Once I started downloading, I could get anything I wanted at the push of a button. For me it was almost like walking into a record store and running out with everything I saw that looked good in hand. My friends, which is really where I get my biggest influence on what music I listen to, were able to recommend something that they thought was decent to me, and then I would just go and get it right then; or if I were to read about some up and coming band in a magazine, I could just download what I wanted. Around this time, I started to get really into Coldplay and Thrice, which are probably the only two bands who have stayed in my top five bands for more than five years.

Most recently, music has played the same role in my life that it always has. Exploring new music, to me, is like exploring a cave that I’ve never heard of or seen pictures of before and just want to see what’s at the end. Lately I’ve been trying to get into playing guitar, and developing a new skill like this is something that really can’t be explained. It’s extremely self-therapeutic and can turn whatever mood I was in, into a better one. However, guitar playing usually only constitutes a few types of music.

There are certain types of music that can change an atmosphere. When at a party with a lot of people, you’ll always hear loud rap music playing or at least something that people can dance to. If someone were to go into a crowded party with a dance floor packed with people, and turn on something like Metallica, or Rob Zombie, then it would probably make a lot of people angry. While some people may enjoy dancing to this type of music, the majority of people trying to dance would probably not be entertained by this type of music. Besides this, it isn’t exactly the right situation to be listening to some type of hard rock music which has a lot of screaming going on it.

I remember reading somewhere about the war in Iraq, and how they use music as a source of negotiating with hiding Iraqi criminals to come out. What the U.S. Army would do, is ride around the abandoned streets of Iraq in their tanks, blaring a certain ACDC song called “Shoot to Thrill” over and over again; more times than any sane person could possibly stand. While in my opinion, I enjoy listening to ACDC during certain points depending on what type of mood I’m in, I honestly don’t think I’d be able to stand hearing this song over and over again. What it does, is obviously drive any person within range of hearing it insane, which would in turn cause them to surrender themselves over. Once again, music has the power. This time it’s the power to drive people crazy and make them do things they wouldn’t normally do.

From Elvis to Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, from Peter Frampton to Pearl Jam, from the Grateful Dead to Justin Timberlake, music comes in all shapes, forms, and fashions. Music is something that is pure emotion that comes from the souls of a few talented individuals. It is something that is beyond words and can only heard through the musicians that express it. If you’re having a bad day, go to your music collection and turn on your favorite band, and have your “friends” keep you company. Music is the one thing that almost every single person in the world can relate to somehow or some way. I believe in music. I believe that music makes the world go around.