Nature’s Theater

Jermey - Lexington, Kentucky
Themes: nature

Red, yellow, orange, green – the variety of colors that I see come in so many formations I wouldn’t think imaginable. I see an orange flower blooming in the midst of purple and yellow flowers. It’s obvious that Spring has arrived and its beauty never ceases to captivate me. The sky’s clear blue texture capture’s me. A single plane can be seen slowly yet quickly gliding along the blue horizon. I feel the wind and its touch and caress of my body. It soothes, cools, and enlightens my spirit. I listen to life’s symphonic orchestra perform a typical concert. The train’s whistle plays the melody, the cars cover the harmony. Construction’s work delivers the rhythm, the birds’ chirps are the vocals, and the dance of the grass and trees all display a stunning performance.

Although nature’s performance is extravagant and exotic, its audience appears only a few in numbers. What’s the purpose of its performance if no one takes the time to attend? Mother Nature’s creation was meant to be observed and its beauty should never go unnoticed. I believe that nature’s splendor should be observed by everyone from the new born baby to the aged grandfather. I believe in the power of nature to calm the spirit, evoke joy, and entertain. I believe in attending life’s theatrical performance.

The complexity of the world’s design captivates me. I look at the sky again. I see dawn approaching. The moon and sun display a dazzling performance. As the sun sets on one end it exudes rays of orange, yellow, and red blended in unity. The sun leaves and the audience think the show’s almost over. But then the moon, directly across from the sun, takes the stage. Its radiant white light encourages the audience. La Luna, as I often call her, performs and reveals that the show never ends. Though the sun may leave, the birds rest their vocals, the trees and grass slow their dance, and the trains whistle may cease, there’s always another piece to be carry out.

Before the other piece begins I ponder on how I fell in love with nature’s beauty and design. Solitude had taken over my life for many years. To occupy time I found myself sitting in the grass outside observing the scenery. I found enjoyment and peace in it. Looking around I noticed every detail and was further inclined to observe the beauty every time I was alone. Being alone was never a fun experience but being outside made me happy. At nights when I was sad wondering why I was alone and had no friends, I simply went outside, looked at the stars, and the feeling calmed my spirits. Although I cried many nights I felt comforted by nature.

After thinking about my nature connection, the next piece was soon begun. The next performance is much more subtle. I love this one the most. The moon’s show makes me happier than I could ever imagine. Its glow relieves its audience from the bright power of the sun. The night evokes peace, joy, and assurance. As I relax and enjoy I can’t help but notice all the new musicians and characters. There are stars that radiate, glow, and make me stretch to touch them. Their twinkle assures me that although they are light years away their roles never cease. The joy that I feel cannot be explained in words. The joy that arouses when a star gets a bit too excited and zooms across the stage. The joy from the peace that is present in the pianissimo of the music. The joy from the sound of the occasional train whistle, or the chant of the dog far off in the distance, or the soft wind that sings through the trees, gives me the assurance that life never ceases.

As time continues, the performances add another twist. It is now sunrise and while the moon fades in the distance, the sun rises to take the stage once again. The vocals of the birds don’t hesitate to brighten my spirits. As I open my blinds, the sun’s rays beam through my window and shine its spotlight on me. Somehow it knows I’m its biggest fan and performs especially for me. While the musicians play the actors and dancers assist the sun in entertaining me. Clouds of all textures form in the sky; those that came from a painters brush and those that were picked out of a bag of cotton balls. They dash in front of the sun and linger, displaying their intricate design while casting shadows. Then two cumulus clouds form a sandwich with the sun in the middle. The humor they present is brilliant, and I cannot help but laugh.

Though the hilarity is entertaining and the designs intricate; although the sounds magnificent and the mood soothing and even though the sight’s breathless, the audience is still few in numbers. I believe in attending nature’s theatrical performance and so should anyone else. Taking the time to observe the beauty of Mother Nature offers appreciation for life. A lot time is not needed to simply applaud the moon for its radiant beauty at night, praise the birds for their singing, enjoy the trees’ dances, or even relax to the wind’s caress.

Nature is often looked down upon because of its power and danger it can pose. Society often goes about each day wondering what the weather’s going be like the next day, or if they’re going to be able to wear shorts and sandals, or even have the umbrella ready. We live in a fast paced world where everyone is always on the go coming and going like the wind. Nature performs for us, puts on a fabulous show, but yet, we never give it praise for its wonderful performance. Its affect on me is life changing and attending its theatrical performances will always be a positive influence in my life.