Sharnae - 19126, Pennsylvania

“Books Before Boys Because Boys Bring Babies”

Thinking back to middle school, I remember year book signing day. I can remember signing in others yearbook saying “gook luck, do well in high school take it to the next step, college”. After singing about ten I notice the same quotes in some girls’ books. I remember seeing seven vertical Bs going down the page. Beside the Bs (horizontally) it read “Books Before Boys Because Boys Bring Babies”. The first thought that popped into my head was, we are only entering the ninth grade and girls are talking about avoiding boys and babies. I thought to myself what is going on in high schools that there is this big warning?

It was then that I realized high school girls were being stereotyped. Yes, there were many teen pregnancies in high schools, however people do make mistakes. I knew some girls who got pregnant but continued to go forward with their education. Of course, the plan is not to get pregnant and get caught up with some boy that you have to deal with for the rest of your life because you have a baby by him. Yet, unfortunately some situations like this do happen often.

I believe that females are very smart but do to the lack of commitment to religion or dedication to something they love pregnancies and drama with boys can sometimes be the result. When you have values as a teen, you become a better person. You seem to know what you want in life and what it takes to get there.

For example, if a female is a Christian she would be focused more on success and following the footsteps of Christ. However, everyone cannot be perfect and even Christians make mistakes.

I believe that society needs to stop labeling young women because it can be offending. Society needs to encourage young women and men to make something of them and creating a family can be put on hold. Life is what we make of it. It is up to the young people to make a difference and rise up out of the stereotypical idea of a high school student and not make mistakes.