Good in heart

Russell - Killingworth, Connecticut

September 11th is a day that I will always remember for many reasons, but the main reason why this day will live forever for me is because of how it taught me how to appreciate my family. I can still recall coming home from school that day finding my father crying at the computer desk. Confused I asked him what was wrong, what he responded with was an answer I will never forget. “I was supposed to be in that building today.” In complete shock I gave him a hug realizing how lucky I was to still have a father. When I finally let go my mother was standing there ready to give me the rest of the details. My father had canceled his meeting early that morning so he would be able to attend an important event at our church. To make matters worse his meeting was supposed to be on the 93rd floor, and the planes crashed on about floor 92nd, this meant that most of my father’s co-workers ended up on the list of unfortunate causalities. For days after this event my father would refuse to get out of bed, but because of this event I have learned to take every moment I am home to appreciate my family.

September 11th did not only bring my family closer together, but this awful day also brought our nation closer together. Because of September 11th I now believe that people are good in heart.

This tragic event was brought to our country in the hopes of destroying us, and to make our foundation as a nation crumble. What I saw preceding these events was something much different than what was expected. People came from all over the nation to go help clean up ground zero. Two of the individuals that went to help clean were my parents. When they came back they told me about people who lost loved ones, and people who came from all over the world to help out. This nation’s propaganda had not been that high since Pearl Harbor. You could not walk down a road without seeing an American flag. It seemed that every American untied as one to do anything possible to help in the relief efforts. I can remember during the seventh inning stretch in a baseball game the traditional song of take me out to the ballgame got replaced with god bless America, and Mets team hats were where thrown aside for NYPD hats. It was the small things done by individuals, and corporations that helped this nation move on.

I am extremely lucky to still have a father who is waiting at home for me to congratulate me on my first finished year of college, but unfortunately because of this tragic even there are many who have lost loved ones. This was an event that I would never like to see on American soil every again, but if we can take one thing away from it, it is that America is a strong nation, and that all people are good in heart.