Girls go to Mars…Boys go to Jupiter

Michelle - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Growing up, there were various little jingles that the kids used to chant. Some were little hand games such as: “Mrs. Mary Mac”, “Patty Cake”, “Swing, Swing, Swing”, and many more. Then there was a chant that all of the children would say if they thought that a boy and girl liked each other. It goes something like Harry and Sally sitting in the tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g. First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes Sally with the baby carriage. On the other hand, there was another chant that children would say to sort of explain the differences between boys and girls. They would say, “Boys go to Jupiter to get more stupider, girls go to mars to be superstars”. I believe that this statement is true; maybe not in a literal sense, but it does explain why some males and some females act the way they do.

I believe that at one point there was probably some type of space travel that went wrong. There must have been a point in time when N.A.S.A. sent some men into space to the moon, mars or maybe even some other planet. However, the space shuttle landed on Jupiter instead. The astronauts got off of the shuttle and started exploring the planet thinking that it was another planet, maybe Mars perhaps. During their exploration, they got infected with a virus called “stupidity”. Once they got back to earth the virus spread throughout the male race. This would explain most of the behavior of males. This explains the headaches that they cause women to have. These women have to put up with their stupidity and just hope that they keep enough strength to maintain their composure and not have to go to jail for first degree murder.

This story could be true for women as well; however, they just settled on the right planet, Mars. Therefore, women on the other hand, are the stars. Women strive to be the best that they can be. We try to makes sense of the littlest things in life just so we can have some sense of comfort or understanding. Over the past few decades, women have started to fill the higher and more demanding positions in the corporate world, allowing them to have more influence, money, and power. Stars such as Oprah Winfrey, Beyonce, Maya Angelou, and many others have set the bar high so that the rest of the women may strive to be all that they can be. Their achievements encourage women everywhere to shoot for the moon, and if they miss they will land among the stars.

In conclusion, I do not think that males or females will ever be able to come to a full understanding of each other; this is just proof of the saying, “Boys go to Jupiter to get more stupider, girls go to mars to be superstars”; this I believe.