Nathan - York, Pennsylvania

I Believe in Loud Rock Music

It all started when I was about six or seven. My mom would hear a song she liked and say, “Now this is a windows down type of song.” I was a six year old kid jamming out in the back-seat of the Geo listening to Harry Connick Jr. while the wind whipped my face. Now, quite a few years after my geo rock sessions, I still roll my windows down when I am listening to “a windows down type of song.” The old men in the car next to mine who can hear it through their closed windows, krinkle their noses and look away. My mom doesn’t like how I go to concerts almost every weekend. She tells me that eventually “I wont be able to hear a thing.” She must not know that Harry with the windows down was the cause of that effect. If the music is loud enough to drown out every thought, if I can loose myself in the notes filling my heart, then a little hearing loss is a small price to pay.

I believe in loud rock music because it brings people together. No matter what walk of life you lead, no matter the race or the gender, a song sung by The Beatles is universal. Driving in the car, windows down music blaring has a specific effect on people, no matter the genre of the song. When I think of music I think of those days when I would spend my weeks longing for my weekends. Almost every weekend I would head into Philadelphia or Baltimore to see a concert. No matter what size the venue or the style of the band, the experience was always the same. The long wait while the band’s roadies set up the equipment builds the excitement in the air. As the band finally takes the stage, the crowd erupts into cheers. As they play song after song, you get to know the people around you, not by talking or questioning but simply observing. Their likes and their dislikes, their personality is vivid in their demeanor. The way they smile and jump, or fold their arms and slouch could tell you volumes I would feel a certain level of connection with everyone in that room. My body would sway to the music just the same way theirs would. I may never have known them or cared to in the real world, but at a concert they are family.