The Difference in her Life

Brian - Laurel Springs, New Jersey

I was 16. It was my second summer at Bible camp. I met her for the first time, playing ping pong at the gymnasium. At chapel, she would always make it a point to sit next to me. As camp came to an end, Carly and I kept in touch but went our separate ways. Little did I know how much of an impact I would play in this girl’s life.

This I believe that people are truly in your life for a reason.

Our relationship was one hour and thirty minutes apart. I am so grateful Carly and I did not let distance get into the way of our relationship. It would have affected the out come of who she is as a person at this stage in her life.

The first time I came to her house I could tell she was nervous to tell me about her life.

I asked her, “How are your parents doing? What are we doing tonight?”

I saw her face begin to frown. She seemed like she was uncomfortable and did not want to tell me anything else. She had to tell me.

Carly explained in an empty voice, “Oh Brian, both of my parents passed away when I was younger.”

She then told me her story, “My daddy had a stroke while he was driving and lost control of the wheel, dying instantly. My mother, she lost her battle with lung cancer.”

After she told me about her parents, she spilled her whole life to me in tears.

I thought, “Is there anything else that you want to tell me that well help me understand you better.”

Carly whispered in pain, “As a child, I was abused by my aunt and uncle. I now am not with them but I will always be recovering from there abuse.”

I thought to my self, “That there was something inside of me that had to make a difference in this girl’s life.”

These past three years, Carly has been my girlfriend. I have helped her fight through and come to ease with her past. I have helped her become a confident girl who loves life and realizes that she is going to have great heavenly parents.

She expressed, “Brian you have made the most difference in my life and I could not have done it without you.”

She has taught me many valuable lessons in life. Carly taught me that no matter what your circumstance is in life, you can get through it and overcome all adversity.

I knew that Carly was in my life for a specific reason. I realized, after hearing her story, that I was the one to help restore her to a great future. She helped me recognize the difference I could not only make in her life, but the difference I could make in my life.