Live Life to the Fullest

Tifani - Logan Twp., New Jersey
Themes: carpe diem, death

I believe that life shouldn’t be taken for granted. I recently went through a tough experience that made me believe in this now more than ever. It was a good day everything seemed to be going great for me. After driving home from school I walked into my house and the first person I saw was my mom, she didn’t look too happy. She said, “We need to talk.”

When she said this I started to think of what I might had done to get in trouble, I hadn’t gotten the chance to do my laundry, but that was about all I could think of. She asked me to sit down so I knew it was something serious. Then she said the words that were the last thing that I thought would come out of her mouth, “Ms. Kiya passed away today.” I was in shock. My jaw dropped; I couldn’t believe it. This was a person that I had known since I was a little girl. She had been my mom’s hairdresser since as long as I could remember. Her and my mom had become friends and I had started to go to her to get my hair done. She had just turned thirty nine and had two young children. This was a complete shock. I thought of how her children would be affected. This situation made me believe that life is not fair. For a woman that young to die unexpectedly and to leave her children just was not right.

This situation, though tragic, helped me realize that you can’t take life for granted. After Ms. Kiya died I decided to live life to the fullest because you never know when it’s going to end. Every time I wake up, I am thankful for another day. I used to take for granted the fact that I woke up each morning and had my family and a place to live. This situation made me start to appreciate the little things that I had once overlooked. If I had not lost someone close to me, I wouldn’t be grateful for the many blessings that I’ve received.