I Believe in Miracles

Christina - Greenwich, Connecticut
Themes: hope

I believe in miracles. They don’t have to be huge, amazing miracles that affect hundreds of people. But, instead, they can be small, wondrous miracles and have the same effect on only one family. Think of them as little gifts that people receive when they don’t expect them. Recently, my family and I have received one of those little gifts.

About a month ago, my grandfather was in a very serious car accident. It was February 14th, Valentine’s day, and my little sister and I were going to sleep over our grandparent’s house for the weekend. My grandma, little sister, and I had just arrived at my grandparent’s house when the phone rang. It was from the Nassau County Medical Center reporting that my grandfather was in the emergency room due to a severe car accident. My grandma took immediate action and dropped my little sister and me at our cousin’s house, a few blocks away. She drove herself all the way to the hospital, in a state of panic, to see what had happened.

As it turned out, someone drove through a red light and slammed into my grandfather’s car. His car then flew in the air, flying over multiple cars, flipped over twice, and landed on its side. People rushed to his rescue, expecting to find a dead body inside his car, but instead there was my grandfather, alive and breathing. A miracle had occurred. When the ambulance arrived the paramedics had to cut the car apart just to get him out. Although my grandfather had survived, there was some serious damage done. His left shoulder was completely dislocated, he had multiple wounds on his arms and wrists, multiple broken bones, an irregular heart beat, and a low blood count.

That day, the car accident could have been fatal and I am so thankful that it was not and my grandfather is still here today with us. My grandfather means the world to me, and I can not imagine losing him. I think that God has a way of showing us that he is watching over us everyday, and this was his way to our family. My grandfather is recovering slowly but surely and has lost a great deal of his independence, but I have faith in him, because of this wonderful miracle.

People go through their lives taking everything for granted. It took a miracle for me to realize how lucky I am for a loving and caring family that surrounds me, and I am hoping it’s not that way for you. In a way, miracles are God’s little reminders to us that he will always be with us, no matter what. This is why I believe miracles exist.