I Believe in Reaching for the Stars

Mackenzie - Greenwich, Connecticut
Themes: sports

Mackenzie Tesei

English 8-04

March 26, 2008

Reaching for the Stars

I believe in reaching for the stars. I recently realized that life is too short to accomplish nothing. Rather than sitting at home watching television, staring off into the distance or spending the day being lazy, I realized I have to chase my dream. But even though I have always played many sports and have considered myself athletic, I was always too lazy and unaware that being inactive did not help me accomplish my dreams. After an abrupt realization that I was entering high school, I realized how badly I wanted to be “the best there ever was” in lacrosse.

My whole life surrounds the sport of lacrosse. I have always loved being part of a team because the feelings of accomplishment and camaraderie are so great. I love having to play for others, instead of just playing for myself. When I score a goal or make an amazing play, I hear the crowd cheering (whether they really are or not) and I feel I can be someone others can look up to. When I play lacrosse, I always try to be better than I know that I am. I set difficult goals that I want to achieve, just to make myself push harder and play better. But when I feel like I am not putting out one hundred fifty percent, I feel as if I wasted time and I always regret not playing my best for the team. From this, I have learned that trying my hardest means so much to not only myself, but to my team.

All of my goals in life have been considered farfetched by others, but to me I know I can reach them. I know I will try my hardest and put my heart and soul into everything that I do in the future because I want my dream to come true so badly. But if something happens where I would not be able to accomplish what I had hoped to accomplish, at least I know I tried. All of the lessons I will learn in life’s journey, I will be able to teach to my children and they can hopefully learn the same lessons I will learn.

Now, I always reach for the stars. I set goals that seem impossible to reach and I put my heart and soul into everything I do. In the end, through my effort and hard work, everything pays off. Through my realization, I learned I can only be the best if I believe in myself and I really do have to reach for the stars and when I get there, bring some back to share. This, I believe.