Parenting: Protect vs. Hurt

Kristen - Boyertown, Pennsylvania

At the age of 15, I despised my parent’s authority. It was a constant battle between the three of us and I was tired of always losing. One night, I had gone snowboarding at Spring Mountain and met a guy. I didn’t know this at the time, but the guy I had met used to babysit for Deb’s kids, those of which I now babysit. When I came to know this, I took it to my advantage. When I would baby sit, JT would come over and help out with the kids. We had become really good friends, and were soon to be dating. On the opposing side of this scene were the ones that always caused the problems, my parents. They detested not only him but the thought of him and me together. They didn’t approve of it since he was eighteen and I was fifteen. They knew they would have to put a stop to it immediately. After verbal arguments night after night with my parents, I took it upon myself to rebel against them and selfishly disobey. For about the next two weeks, I basically lived at Deb’s house. I would go over right after school and have her take me home around eleven each night, just in time to go to bed. I would spend the evenings in delight because I was with the one I thought was the “love of my life.” I eventually found out, my parents were right, and I should have listened. I believe most parents are here to protect us and not hurt us.

Now that I am an adult, I can look back on this experience, and be thankful that my parents were there to protect me. I have realized that God gave us parents for a reason and we should be grateful that he did. When we are teenagers we think we know everything, want to be independent, and live life on our own. It’s difficult for us to comprehend the fact that our parents were our age at one time and that they know they are only doing what is best for us. We tend to get easily frustrated because we feel like our parents are trying to make our life miserable when in reality they are only trying to protect us.

After the experience with JT, I realized that my parents reacted in such a way only because they knew what was right. I now look back at the situation I put myself into and appreciate that my parents cared enough about me to keep me from precarious circumstances. If I wouldn’t have came to my senses and accepted that my parents were right, for all I know I could be a single mother, having to raise a child on my own or even looking further down the road, divorced several years into my marriage. I believe that parents who love their children will do anything to protect them even if they are the ones getting hurt.