Running My Life

Jason - Elizabethtown, Kentucky

My freshman year at college was not what I had expected. Classes were not like they had been in high school and living conditions were changed drastically. But I noticed recently that there were not only physical changes. I realized the true freedom I was given when I came to college. I have to manage money, study, find a job, study, and even do my own laundry. I now fully control what happens in my life. And I wish that I had realized this before college started.

During orientation I had to meet with my advisor to schedule classes for the first time. I walked in the room where I met her and sat down in the nearest chair. My advisor sat next to me and went through what classes were required and explained rules while I searched for a class I might want to take. When I was having trouble finding any classes she asked, “Well, what are you interested in?” I told her I did not have one clue. She questioned about my hobbies. “I’ve gotten into film and video recently.” I said. “What if you signed up for Telecommunications and French film?” she suggested. Of course I said that it would be fine. But no is what I should have said.

Weeks flew by, and then midterm grades came out. I had an E in both my Telecommunication class and French film. And when I first saw these grades I knew that it

was because the classes did not interest me at all. This is also when I came to my realization of how much freedom I really have. So I looked back and thought about what happened with my advisor. I had taken her word for it and didn’t take responsibility to find out what the classes were all about in the first place. I discovered that I really cannot sit back and watch everything go by; I have to make the choices myself. As soon as I start letting other people make the choices for me is when I realize how much I did not want to do something in the first place. Had I have looked through the class list right then in there for even two seconds I would have seen that those classes were not for me. It just wasn’t what I wanted to do. Only I can choose what I really want to do.

What I believe? I am in control of my own life. I realized the true freedom I was given when I came to college. I have to manage money, study, find a job, study, and even do my own laundry. I now fully control what happens in my life. I have to make all of my own decisions now and every choice that I have to make is just as serious as the previous one. If it means the outcome of my life then I have to take it seriously. If I don’t take my life seriously then who will? The only option I can’t choose is whether or not to stand up and have a say in what is happening here and now; I have to.