I believe in a good nap

Ashleigh - Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
Themes: pleasure

When I was younger my parents would often make me take naps in the middle of the day. I hated them with an extreme passion. I felt like they were a total waste of time. I would rather be outside with my friends or playing with my brothers. I dreaded hearing my mother say that it was nap time. Once my father would place me into my bed I would often just lie there, eyes wide open and arms crossed, in protest thinking of all the things I would rather be doing. My parents always told me when I was younger, “One day you’ll grow up to love naps”. Of course I never believed them.

My feelings toward naps had changed once I began to grow and mature. When I was in high school I started to take naps on a regular basis. College life has made me develop an even greater love for naps. They have become a major part of my life. I try to take a nap every day, sometimes even planning my day around when I get to take one. I believe in a good nap.

After an extremely tedious day there is nothing better than a nice relaxing nap. I often walk through my dorm room door, dark circles under my eyes, my body feeling as if it weighs a ton searching for my bed. As I allow my head to hit the pillow and my eyelids to close shut, my body gives off a sense of gratitude.

Many people think that taking a nap in the middle of the day is a waste of time, I disagree. I believe naps allow me to achieve a physical state which is unable to be attained any other way. They allow me to reach a place where things in my wakened state are impossible. They give me a certain sense of immunity. The possibility to do anything and everything I want.

I believe that finding the time to take a nap allows me to see the world in a whole new light. Instead of seeing it in a haze of utter exhaustion, I can witness it clearly.