Medicine for the Mind

Lauren - East Petersburg, Pennsylvania

The upbeat tune of Cobra Starship’s “Guilty Pleasure” blasts from my car speakers as I drive down road to my friend’s house. I belt out the lyrics at the top of my lungs until my throat is raw and my voice hoarse. The windows are down and I know that anybody outside can hear me over the music, but I don’t care. After a rough day of classes I am only focusing on letting go of all my stress. Whether I am screaming along to rock music or humming to something more mellow, I believe that music has an incredible healing power.

No matter what my mood is, I am almost always listening to music. On a particularly frustrating or exciting day I like to turn up the music so loud that it almost hurts. This helps to erase everything but the music from my mind. Faster, harder music, allows me to scream along, relieving energy or anxiety that would otherwise stay bottled up inside. Everyone knows how good it feels to just yell and yell and yell some more. It is so therapeutic to just scream and let everything out.

On the other hand, I turn to slower or more melodious music when I am content, reminiscent or disheartened. These songs are more relaxing and have an incredible calming effect. It is even better when you can enjoy these tunes outside, laying on a blanket with the sun warming your back and the wind blowing across your face. I have found that listening to these types of songs can really change your mood, no matter how you were originally feeling.

At the beginning of this year I had a hard time adjusting to life at Eastern University. I had never been to a Christian school and I was constantly questioning whether or not I was at the right place. Whenever I was feeling down, I would take a walk and listen to music because it was comforting. One song that stands out in my mind during this time is the song “Jesus” by the band Brand New. The entire song is full of phrases and questions that, I too, ask about religion. “Jesus Christ, I’m not scared to die. I’m a little bit scared of what comes after. Do I get the gold chariot? Do I float through the ceiling? Do I divide and pull apart?” is just one of the lyrics I can strongly relate to. Every aspect of this song, the lyrics and the music itself, helped me through a really tough time in my life. Now that I have overcome these reservations about college, I find other songs that help me through new challenges in my life. I will always turn to music for comfort and healing because its therapeutic effects are endless. It will forever be my favorite kind of medicine.