What Are YOU Listening To?

Samantha - Elizabethtown, Kentucky

I’m a very curious person with a love of music and all it has to offer. What it offers me is an escape for my imagination from my somewhat monotonous days into a world created for me by the artists themselves. I have several playlists on my iPod dedicated to situations. I believe in the power of a playlist and the moods it inspires, banishes, or emphasizes.

My “Chill Out” playlist includes “Clocks” by Coldplay. Every time I listen to “Clocks”, I feel so alive, like life is magical and perfect. This is what music is supposed to be, a combination of emotions and notes. “Chill Out” has the effect it’s titled for. Every song on here helps me calm down, sit back, and relax.

My most emotional playlist I have is my “Love” playlist. Not every song is a sappy. I have artists from different genres, such as Belle and Sebastian, Styx, the Police, and everyone else in between. Each of these songs has a special meaning, whether directly in the lyrics, the emotions evoked from the melodies, or a song played at just the right moment with that special someone. Songs like “Piazza, New York Catcher” by Belle and Sebastian might not mean a thing to other people besides myself.

“Sunshine”, created recently due to spring fever, has a lot of songs that don’t directly refer to spring, summer, or sun, but rather give me an upbeat feeling comparable to basking in the warm sunshine. It starts out with “A Public Affair” by Jessica Simpson. It’s a favorite because it reminds me of the summer before my senior year of high school when my dad gave me his convertible Mustang to drive all summer. I used to put the top down and play this upbeat song.

My “Old School” playlist consists of all music created before I was born. It’s mostly classic rock with Aerosmith, ACDC, the Beatles, and Bon Jovi. Sitting back and listening to this music makes me feel as if I’m alive in the era in which it was created. They make me feel like I should be dressed in denim, fringe, and flowers protesting sexual inequality, or the Vietnam War. Meanwhile, the Beatles’ trippy music makes me feel as if I’m experiencing psychedelics beside them. This music is the inspiration of most of our generation’s creations. I don’t think there is a rock band out there that won’t tell you one of their influences is the Beatles.

Playlists are a great thing to create for yourself, or for the ones you love. For many, music is an escape, or a way to express or convey emotions. By creating a playlist, you gather up your emotions into a neat little package to be played on your way to work, school, or anywhere, so you might just want to put some thought into it!