Laughter: the Natural Ecstasy

Brian - Burr Ridge, Illinois

Laughter, that feeling of uncontrollable happiness that bursts from within, is the source of some of the greatest feelings in life. I believe that laughter is a key to life. Without laughter my life, my world, my family, or my friends would not be the same. Laughter, that ecstasy from the depths of the soul, improves the world around me, no matter what the situation.

I remember when I was about seven, my five year old sister was crying because Mom had given her a timeout. My older sister and I were trying to calm her down and make her feel better. I don’t exactly remember what I said, but it made both my sisters laugh hysterically. I remember seeing how my younger sister’s mood totally changed. One moment she was balling as if she would never feel better again, and the next moment she was laughing and smiling as happy as ever. Her amazing smile burst through tears and sobbing that had controlled her emotions just a moment earlier. My epiphany came at this moment, laughter gave me the power to help myself and those around me cope with any kinds of feelings of sadness, awkwardness, anxiousness, depression, lethargy, and helplessness. At that moment I realized the immense power of laughter.

Although it took a few years to fully realize this that moment with my sisters formed my belief that laughter is a key to life. As I got older, laughter played a bigger role in my life. I remember going into my first day of high school, I was nervous. I did not know many kids, but laughter helped me relax and meet new people. In my first period English class, I did not know anyone, but I introduced myself with a joke, and people surprisingly laughed. The laughter relaxed my classmates, and helped me start talking with classmates, which energized the class and let us all relax on a nerve racking day. It felt so great to make a room full of people I did not know laugh. The power and confidence that their laughter gave me propelled me to make friends in that English class. Surprisingly, that class became my favorite because of the friends that I made that first day. Laughter has great powers. Countless times I have used laughter to improve my situation, and even to this day laughter has never failed me.

I believe that to best live my life, I need the power of laughter. It has an unlimited and unbeaten power that is essential to my life. So I say laugh, laugh often, laugh hard, laugh out loud, laugh silently, laugh when nothing is funny, laugh when it feels right, laugh when it feels wrong, laugh for no reason at all, make others laugh, enjoy laughter, and enjoy life, this I believe.