My Last Day

Andrea - Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

My Last Day

He was drooling in the passenger seat. I wish I could say he was an angelic site to see but with his eyes rolled back, mouth wide open and water flowing out like rapids, he looked more like he belonged among the dead then the angels. The screeching sound of metal woke him right up; I think that sound had the power to wake up any sleeping soul for miles around. It was unexpected and it was among the scariest things to happen and because of it, I believe in living, truly living each day like it is your last.

Time literally slowed. You never think it’s possible until suddenly it is and some how it seems all natural. I lost control of my bumper car in a game that was now too real for my liking. Life was in God’s hands at this point.

I don’t remember stopping only being stopped. My little red Saturn was spewing guts everywhere. Parts I’ve never seen before took over the interior of the car. Outside was worse. The entire front portion was gone, strung along North Carolina’s highway like bread crumbs for the vultures to eat. Smoke danced around the car. The stench of burnt tires and metal and burnt dreams engraved us. Cops were pulling up within minutes. Who called them? I didn’t.

People drove past the mess, staring with curious and sympathetic eyes. I wished they’d all go blind. This accident wasn’t their entertainment, it was my hell. Tow trucks came with their thick accented southern drivers. I couldn’t understand a word they said, I wasn’t listening anyways. My body ached with grief and disbelief. I had never been in such a terrible accident, and I honestly never thought I would.

You see these “accidents” happen to people, and then one day you live it yourself, and suddenly the accident that was never supposed to happen to me becomes the tragedy that just did. I lost more then just a great car. That vehicle was my way of getting to and from life, it was my bed for nights I had no where else to go, it was my escape from a world I didn’t understand too well or even like.

Too often I take life for granted, skipping through with the mindset that nothing truly tragic, like loosing my life or a friend loosing theirs will ever happen anytime soon. Its nothing more then stupidity but it’s a traditional way of thought I can’t help but engage in. Since the car accident I’ve begun living my life as if each day is my last. I try to remember that nothing is ever guaranteed and that eventually time will run out but in the mean time if I live life to my fullest capability, in the end I’ll have nothing to loose and no regrets.