My Philosophy

Timothy - Mt Sterling, Kentucky

Life becomes difficult when we become uneasy or concerned about something. Stress builds up because we are troubled. People worry everyday about everything. It could be about finances, education (grades), a mate, or even what they are going to wear. All this unnecessary tension is enough to drive one mad and if it’s not controlled and it very well may. For this very reason I rely on a phrase I remember hearing as a child. I will never forget this message to the masses because it is one that I have built my life around. I believe whole heartedly in “ Hakuna Matata .“.

For those who are unaware of this seemingly world renowned way of life or who don’t speak Swahili; Hakuna Matata is a wonderful phrase. It’s not a passing craze and it means no worries for the rest of your days. It’s a problem free philosophy. It’s Hakuna Matata.

Ok so a cartoon character named Timon said it so why give it so much credit? Why not? Just because it was stated by a Disney character doesn’t make it any less philosophical than if Plato or Aristotle had conjured it up. Everyone worries and many do it entirely to much. Worrying is universal and is bound to happen. I’m not saying I never worry and I’m always Mr. Happy Go Lucky. I am saying that I don’t let the little difficulties bother me or the big ones overwhelm me. When it comes to worrying, big troubles can seem overpowering and small troubles can snowball and crush anyone who lets them. For example, Sandy has a job interview. It’s a routine interview but she is extremely worried about getting hired. It’s almost a lock that she does. On her way to the interview she realizes her anxiousness had cause her to forget her make-up. She routinely puts in on in the parking lot while sitting in her car. She can’t run home she will be late. She can’t buy more she has no time or the cash of course. She is here for a job. Her mind scrambles for what to do. Here comes the answer. Nothing. She must do the interview without the make-up. To make matters worse tears began to flood her face. Although she was confident, she now believes there is no chance. She is worried sick. This job means the world to her and now it’s gone in an instant. If only she had remembered. Sandy runs out of tears and has no other option but to calm down. She collects herself and decides there is no turning back. She enters sad and exits depressed. Two days later her phone rings. It’s Paul, her interviewer. He has decided to give Sandy the job because she was well qualified and was a great fit for the position. The funny thing is he never mentioned her needing make-up. Sandy was astonished. After hanging up the phone she pondered on why she let the make-up bother her so much. She knew she was well qualified and she knew they wanted her for the interview. All that drama and tension for nothing. Worried sick without true reason. Sure at the time it seems like a good reason but is it really?

This is just an instance and it is not only women who worry and not all women worry about make-up. It was just an example. Everyone needs to take a step back. Look back an instance in life where they were worried, a nervous wreck. Now, did the worrying change the outcome? Did it help keep them going through hard times? Obviously not. It only makes things worse. I can loose sleep over fear of receiving a bad grade or a seemingly inevitable break-up but I won’t. What happens after the fact is out of my control. If I become single then it was meant to be and I will move on. If I get an F, oh well, I’ll make up for it next time. I will not think about “what could have been?”. The past is the past and the inevitable is, well, inevitable.

Speaking of inevitable, everyone has lost a family member. It’s an all to common occurrence and it’s impossible no to worry when a relative becomes ill. In a case like this I believe Hakuna Matata calls for acceptance. The only way to truly go on living is to accept the illness or death as a part of life. Sure, one must feel badly about the circumstances but do not dwell on them. Once the situation is accepted as a part of life then the worries become lighter and easier to handle. I worry about my grandmother constantly due to her old age and ever increasing feebleness but I don’t let it bring me down or affect my life negatively. I must go on living and if she should pass then my worries would be lifted because she would be in a better place. I believe my grandmother wants me not to worry about her and to proceed with pursuing my goals. She views her frailty as a hindrance because I do worry and she knows I need not.

She is right, I need not. I will not worry and neither should anyone else. Roll with the punches and take it as it comes. It’s hard at times but life is short and can only be enjoyed through Hakuna Matata. It truly is a problem free philosophy and that is why, in this, I believe.