Five Parents

Molly - Wilmington, Delaware

Five Parents

Being the youngest of four children, I was and still am the baby. My parents have always been there to support and guide me. Growing up, it felt like I had five parents. I have two brothers, Brad, who is 27 and Matt who is 21. I also have a sister, Lynzy, who is 24. All three of them have stepped up when I needed help. They are caring, supportive, and wise for their age. I have learned from the mistakes they have made in the past and use these experiences in life. I believe that parents can come in many forms, and I am lucky to have so many to help guide me in my life.

It was a hot summer day in the summer before I entered third grade. Matt and I were riding bikes in our backyard. We were doing relay races around the perimeter and right past our pool. He yelled, “Get ready, get set go!” as he took off. He rounded the whole yard and rode up to me. I was to take off once he reached me and go around the yard. Once he reached me, I started to go down a hill and I didn’t see the rock. My bike went down, with my leg stuck under it.

I have never screamed that loud, and my sister came running out of the house right away. Matt was at my side as fast as lightning. There was definitely something wrong with my leg, but they knew what to do. Lynzy called my mom to let her know what happened. Matt grabbed an ice pack and some Advil for the pain. My mom trusted them enough that she didn’t even need to come home from work to take care of me. Having them act like parents really helped me with controlling the pain. They both took care of me the rest of the day until my mom came home.

There have been many times where one of my siblings has stepped up to help me. Whether it was with homework, friend issues, or anything I was struggling with, they were there for me. All three of them have showed me the way I should act and I really look up to them. Even now, as I am in college, I still look to them for advice. Growing up as the baby wasn’t such a bad thing as I look back at all the times they helped or guided me. A lot of my decisions were made with their assistance.

Not all siblings care enough to be at their sibling’s side, especially the younger one. My oldest brother, Brad, may not be around as much anymore but he still makes sure I am safe. It’s nice knowing that even though they lead their own lives, they care enough to check on me. From bike accidents to homework help, my siblings have been there. I feel so lucky to have grown up with five parents.