Hard Work collides with enjoying my life and soccer

Danielle - Des Plaines, Illinois
Themes: sports, work

Hard Work Collides with enjoying my life and soccer

I believe in having a strong work ethic. This interferes with school related work. I cannot expect myself not to make mistakes because making mistakes are almost unavoidable. I feel the urgency to do the assignments I need to get done. I have to get it done. I work for hours until I’m overwhelmed and cannot take it anymore. Work hard to get every answer right all the time. It’s unrealistic for me to expect myself to be perfect all the time.

I do believe that working hard in school is satisfying. For instance I study for at least two hours per day which pays off in the end. I’m prepared for the quiz or a midterm and final exam. I take it very seriously. As a result of my hard work I usually pass the test, midterm, or exam. This semester I only had one midterm. It feels great at first but that feeling doesn’t last long.

Another example of this is like winning the championship. It feels great to win a championship. You feel a great sense of achievement and a state of euphoria. Euphoria is extreme happiness. This is only temporary because this happiness doesn’t last forever. Euphoria isn’t exactly a good thing either because while the champions are extremely happy it is possible to lose sight of relationships, goals associated with careers and other things as well. I am not saying that winning the championship isn’t something to be proud of but I believe the best recognition is when you recognize yourself.

Despite doing well in school as a good thing, I lose out on enjoying other activities like soccer. I have enjoyed being involved is sports for year. Now I am currently on the Women’s Oakton Soccer Team. We have had over a month of off training practices that I cannot honestly say I looked forward to. I year ago I would’ve been excited to play. I feel as though being overwhelmed with work has taken that away.

For example because of my work schedule I only have to work out for a half an hour. I look at the clock or ask someone for the time. I hope that the time will go faster. It’s almost like I don’t to practice when I know that attending the off training practices will help me prepare for the regular season. Last season I looked forward to be with the team.

I missed out on a large part of the off training season which might now seem like a big deal but this something to be concerned about. I might lack the skills that are needed to compete in the following season starting in August.

The most challenging thing for me right now as a student who has been college for almost two years is being able to being a good student is having some motivation to go to school every class and make the most out of my time instead of staying in my room for hours, computer, or listening to music.

I hope to do that when the soccer season starts again. During the summer I hope to explore many places. The weather for one thing will be nicer. This a big reason to get out of the house. However I believe that I need to find more motivation to attend college. I hope to restore the confidence I once had, enjoy soccer. I can see the finish like as the semester is coming to an end.