The Good of Mankind

Erica - Riverton, Utah

“Well that will be a short essay,” my ex-husband stated when he found out what I was going to be writing about. I don’t really know why he said it, except that in my most recent years I have found out what it is I don’t believe as far as religion is concerned, and left the church I belonged to for twenty-three years. But I don’t think that just because I don’t believe in a certain religion, that I am necessarily without belief. In fact, isn’t the lack of belief in God, belief itself?

Well I know there are things in this life that I know to be true. Isn’t that what beliefs are? Personal statements of truth, like your own personal manifesto. Well I guess I’ll give it a try.

I believe that it is absolutely necessary in life to explore the true meaning behind why things are done. I believe that in questioning we find truth. I believe that blind faith is exactly that—blind. I believe that in order to find the light, one must first seek it.

I believe that perspectives change the more we learn. So many times I have met someone and made a judgement about them before getting to know them. The more I learn, the more I come to understand, and understanding brings wisdom.

I believe that some people have quiet minds, and to those people I say “luckyyyy…” I also know there are people out there like me who cannot shut their minds off to all of the emotions and thoughts that invade it, and sometimes it gets called depression. We are a close group, those of us with depression. An ultimate bond two people have no matter what their circumstance in life is. And you know what? I believe it’s ok. It’s what makes us different from the rest.

I believe in total cheesy, feel-good romantic love stories. I have to, or I wouldn’t keep trying. I’m not stupid enough to believe that is what you need in life to make it in a relationship, but I know that the ability I have to get giddy over the stupid stuff is what can sustain my love for someone. A totally hilarious text message, a flirty look, when he cooks for you, when he says your name… these are all things that can fit under the romantic category. I believe it’s all for the good of me…er… mankind.