Why am I so Selfish?

Josh - Sandy, Utah

Why am I so Selfish?

I believe that most Americans including myself are selfish and unappreciative of what we have and have been given. My whole life I always heard people saying, “Be grateful for what you have,” but now as an adult, with everything I have, I still want more. I could no doubt be in a better or worse situation financially and in many other ways, but there is always going to be someone that doesn’t have as much, and could only dream of what I have acquired through out my life.

At this point in my life, I have a good job, a car, a warm place to go home to, unlimited amounts of food, but yet, I still don’t feel satisfied. Is this selfishness something that comes with being an American? Or does it come from somewhere in my head? Well, there are plenty of Americans that live on practically nothing, and are still happy, so I have to rule that one out. My Mom and Dad separated when I was young, and my Mom had a house full of kids to care for, so she couldn’t work. My Dad paid the required child support, but after my Mom and Dad battled in court over the “appropriate” amount, my Mom was left with hardly enough to support all of the kids. For all of my teenage and adult life, I have watched my Mom scrape by with barely enough money to feed all of the kids and nothing to spend on herself, but she always remained happy.

My Mom has always been an inspiration to me when I feel like I don’t have enough money or a fancy car, etc., because regardless of what she didn’t have, she was always positive about everything thrown her way. So regardless of what I don’t have, I believe that I should really step back, and ask myself, “is my situation really that bad?” I’m confident that after evaluating that question, I can answer positively that my specific situation could be much worse, and I should be happy and appreciative for everything that I have.