I Believe in Honesty

Mackenzie - Draper, Utah
Themes: integrity

I believe that men should be honest in all their dealings. The world has become dishonest and may feel that it is okay to tell a lie whether it is a white lie that may not seem like a big deal or any lie that you know you can get in a lot of trouble for. When other people think this way, they teach it to their kids and then the kids tell their friends and it is an on going cycle that will never end. My religion teaches me to be honest in all my dealings that will come into my life. I do not want people to think that I cheated them with money, or as small as a story that I have told them. I want people to know that I am a good person and I am honest with everyone. I think it is so sad when you know that there is that one person you cannot trust because in the past they have cheated you out of a situation that they were not honest with you the first time something happened.

I have built so much trust with my parents because I am honest with them. I know that I have a curfew at midnight, but if I call my mom and dad before I am supposed to be home they know that I will be okay and they will extend my curfew. It is so much easier to tell the truth than to lie. When you tell one lie it can escalade into more lies and before you realize what you are saying you are in a mess; you should have told the truth the first. My older sister has not been as lucky as me because she has disobeyed my parent’s one too many times and they cannot trust her to stay out past her curfew even though she does anyway. Trust is so important to so many people and the only way you can build trust is by being honest in all your dealings with men.

I feel so lucky to be raised in a home where my family has taught me right from wrong, and they have set a wonderful example. By their example I can teach my family and so many others about being honest in every situation you come across.