Devon - Bordentown, New Jersey
Themes: sports

I believe that running is one of the best forms of physical activity there is. Along with its wide array of health benefits, it is also mentally good for you. It allows you to have time to yourself to clear your head, to de-stress, to wake you up, and to make you sleep better.

I was involved in sports all throughout high school, but I decided to take up running for some extra physical activity. Before I started running, I was often stressed and was always one of the slower people on the soccer, basketball and softball team. This was not good because I would take my stress out on others, including my family, friends, and my boyfriend. I had a good friend who introduced me to running and how she used it to de-stress and to get in better shape. This encouraged me to start running on my own. After about a week of doing this, I started to see how it was having a positive affect on me.

It was a great time for me to clear my head while getting into better cardiovascular shape. Because I was more relaxed, I was more able to deal with stressful situations. I was better able to help my mom with her stress since I had dealt with my own. My boyfriend even noticed a huge difference in how I was acting and we would get in fewer arguments over stupid things.

I also got in much better shape from running. I got the “Most Improved” award for soccer because my endurance had increased so greatly. Running not only increases cardiovascular endurance, but also muscle tone in your calves, quads, hamstrings, abs, arms and other muscles I did not know existed.

Many people try to drown their stress in unhealthy habits such as: smoking, drinking, drugs or eating. I found that putting my stress into something that positively benefits me has helped me to avoid engaging in unhealthy behaviors and has allowed me to be an unstressed individual. This is why I believe that running is one of the best forms of physical activity there is.