Hard Hitting Honesty

Nash - Mission Hills, Kansas

“I have found that being honest is the best technique I can use. Right up front, tell people what you’re trying to accomplish, and what you’re willing to sacrifice to accomplish it.” – Lee Iacocca, businessman who revived Chrysler in the 1980s.

Have you ever been absolutely truthful? You tell someone you’re their friend, are you being honest? To succeed in your life you have to be honest. You can’t lie to anyone because it could change your life forever.

When I was seven I wouldn’t always tell everyone the truth and it impacted me. One time I wasn’t being honest about my intentions to people like a mouse who promises to help the lion if he’s in trouble, but he doesn’t. I wasn’t able to be trusted to do a good job on the task I was to complete. I eventually had a bad reputation for being untrustworthy and people would pick the other person for the job before me. Overtime I was able to recognize my mistake and I have become a better person. It is harder the younger you are to tell the truth, because there aren’t stiff consequences, so you don’t always learn from your mistakes.

A long time ago one of my friend’s parents turned in a job offer. The person was turned down because he had lied about personal information on the résumé. If this person lied on other applications his family might go poor and have to sell their house. He also lied in his interview with the manger of the business. The job was given to the other applicant because that applicant had been honest about his experiences. Being honest doesn’t mean that every time you tell the truth it turns out the way you want, sometimes it won’t. The matter of discussion has to have meaning to you even though it might go the wrong way for you.

If everybody was never sincere our society would be an untamed clutter. World leaders would not be able to cooperate and all the countries might start declaring war on everyone else. Business leaders would not be able to believe a sales pitch from their recently most trusted partner. Nobody would have any friends because nobody could be trusted. Our Earth would be turned into a riotous and uncontrollable fury of people.

Being honest can make a big difference in your life, even if you do lie every now and then. Sometimes it is the right thing to do. I have to lie sometimes to make the best choice for me and my friends or relatives. I hope that I will never become a person who uses deception to fool others. Honesty will make you a better person, like it did me.