Bag of gummy bears

amia - w. lafayette, Indiana

A Bag of Gummy Bears

I believe that a lesson can be taught even in a bag of Gummy Bears. While eating a bag of Gummy Bears I picked out every color and left the green in the bag. I did not like that color. Its not like the Gummy Bear ever did anything to me it was just the flavor was always the one everyone left behind. I chewed at each Gummy Bear one by one for about 20 minutes. After I ate all the ones except the green I contemplated on throwing the rest away; until my mother said “You are going to want those later.” I sat there and played with the mushy obese piece of candy. It had a little deformed face that was kind of funny to look at. I thought about it for a moment and decided that I would never have a taste for those green Gummy Bears. The candy packaging claimed that they were apple flavored. There was no way possible they tasted of apples, they were so dark and didn’t smell of an apple. Well at least not any type of Granny Smith apple I’m used to eating; they were an emerald shade of green. The orange candy smelled of the fruit as did the red of strawberries and the yellow of a banana and any other color in the bag, except the green.

Later on that night while up watching television I saw a Gummy Bear commercial, I thought about what I heard about the apple flavored Gummy Bear s better known as the gross green flavor, and I realized that I have never tasted it. Green was not my favorite color but neither was orange, yellow or red. So I thought what was my favorite reason for not willing to try the flavor, my friends just told me it was gross but we disagree on a lot of things. Why haven’t I given the green one a chance? If it was gross I could always spit it out. I mean really how bad it could be?

The next bag of Gummy Bears I had I tried the green flavor despite what my friends told me. To my surprise it was good, really good. The taste of the green Gummy Bear was quite refreshing, like a burst of fruity greatness. It became my favorite flavor out of the whole bag. I realize that I can not always listen to what my friends say about everything. Everyone is different and I want to be open minded. I would not try a green piece of candy and it is now my favorite, who would have ever thought that. Everyone can gain something off of this because everyone lets their friends and stereotypes fog their minds. I try to think of every thing the way I thought of the Gummy Bear because it was something I refused to give a chance that I missed out on. I believe even candy can teach you a lesson that you can not judge something by the way it looks, or smells, or its color. Everything deserves a chance.